commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Lt. Joseph W. Milling, 6 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
jmilling
Forum Member

My father was Lt. Joseph W. Milling, Commander, 8 Troop, 6 Commando, late 1942 - early 1943. He joined 6 Commando from the 168th Inf Regt, and returned there for the duration of the war after his Commando service, He was more proud of having served with"the British Commandos" than anything else he did in the war. He passed away in 1975, and I've only recently learned these scant details of his Commando service. If anyone has any information, I would most certainly appreciate it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/10/2011 18:33:19

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi and welcome to the CVA,

Unfortunately I cannot offer anything specific regarding your father and, if he had been British, I would have advised you to apply to the British Ministry of Defence for his Service Records. I don't know if his Commando service would appear on his US Army records?

All I can suggest at the moment is for you to browse the No6 Cdo album in our Gallery

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/6/

have a read of No6 Cdo's history [a very short précis on this link]

http://www.commandoveterans.org/site/mambots/editors/fckeditor/editor/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49&Itemid=

and certainly visit the 6 Commando website

http://www.6commando.com/

If you do spot your father on any photos in our gallery it would be appreciated if you could identify him to us so that we can annotate the photo(s) accordingly.
Likewise, if you have any photos of him you like to see uploaded in our Gallery so that he can, once more, be side by side with his British Commando colleagues please email them to me (email below) or Pete and we'll upload them for you.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
jmilling
Forum Member

Thank you, Nick. I have some photos (though not sure any are with 6 Commando) but am working away from home at present. I will try to scan/e-mail over the weekend.

I'm curious what insignia he may have worn while with 6 Commando? Also, in the veterans' photos, I notice they are wearing a Regimental tie? Is that correct?

Though I was stationed in Germany for four+ years, we never made it across the Channel to the UK. Now I am anxious to get to Spean Bridge to see the Memorial and learn more about my father's time there.

Regards,

Jim
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jim

In addition to the albums Nick mentioned we have an album that I created last year that is specific to the Americans who served with the Commandos. Albeit there are not many entries in there, what is there is very good. There is an excellent account in a letter home by Leilyn Young of his journey to Ireland from the USA and onto his training in Scotland and subsequent operations. There is also some good information in the album there for Staff Sgt. Eugene Patrick Duffy of the 168th Infantry Regt and 1st US Rangers. Also a photo of some from the 168th. It may be of some interest to you

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/WW2/comb+ops/US+Rangers/

Additionally your father is named on this forum message some 2 years ago

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/831.page

Regards

Pete R.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 26/10/2011 20:02:22

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Jim,

The tie that the veterans are wearing is either the tie of the Commando Veterans Association or, it's predecessor, the Commando Association.

The Commandos were not a 'formed' regiment or Corps and, therefore did not have a regimental tie.

The Commandos were all volunteers and were 'on loan' from all the regiments and Corps throughout the Army. Most of the commandos wore their own individual regimental cap badge on their berets [the most well known exception to this was No3 Cdo who fashioned their own commando cap badge (a commando dagger) from spoons!

If you're making the trip to Spean Bridge I'd thoroughly recommend doing it in November - to coincide with Remembrance Day - the Commando Veterans have an annual get together and parade at Fort William in the morning then up at the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge in the afternoon.
A very poignant service and well worth braving the chill winds for.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger