commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
John William DAWSON - No 2 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Dear Geoff,

My grandfather, John William Dawson, was a sergeant in No. 2 Commando, and was on the St Nazaire raid, served in Yugoslavia and was at Salerno and the Italian campaign, including Monte Cassino. I have photographs of his marriage to my grandmother in Ayr prior to the St. Nazaire raid, his fighting knives are hung on the wall of my residence. The whole sergeants mess is present in the marriage photographs. I think I remember that he said that the MTB he was on at St. Nazaire never made it to the destination. It was hit, and they were all thrown into a sea of fire. Many of his men died. Yet I never really knew the man. Like many vets he said very little about his experiences. But the few things he did say ( after a few drinks) intrigued me, and still do. The most powerful memento I have of his experiences is a prayerbook, bound in mother of pearl, with a flattened bullet embedded in it, a relic of Salerno. This was the prayer book my grandmother gave to him after their marriage. She recounted that at the time he was shot at Salerno his picture fell off the piano. He had this book in his battledress, in his left breast pocket and it obviously saved his life. In his words (again after a few drinks) at Salerno the fire was so withering that it cut down the grass like a scythe.

I am a writer, of screenplays, and I have long been toying with the idea of bringing to the new generation the real story of men like my grandfather. I envisage a series, rather than a film. A series captures the feel of the times, allows one to fully develop characters. I wish to make this series a real tribute to these men, their wives, lovers and families. To do this, I need factual, historical information, or more importantly, details such as how billets were assigned, how training was done etc., etc.

This series has a working title of "One Mans' War", but this is really the medium through which will be reflected the experiences and sacrifice of all those who participated.

If any of your members can assist me with factual information concerning these events I would be most grateful. All whose information is incorporated into the screenplay(s) will be acknowledged in the credits. This is a story long overdue in the proper telling of it - so if any of your members have stories germane to this subject, please let them know my email.

Many thanks,

John Dawson

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi John

I believe your Grandfather knew my father. I recall your Grandfather's name as being one of the many from 2 Cdo. that my father referred to quite often. Have you seen the photos in our gallery of your Grandfather. Your Grandfather was in 6 troop of No.2 Commando and was, like my father (who was in 5 troop), one of those that made it back from St Nazaire raid and continued with No.2 Cdo. for the remainder of the war. The 6 troop photo can be seen here :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/6+troop/6Troop2Cdo+copy.jpg.html

The additional photo is one of No.2 Cdo. Sgts. and includes back row left to right Nelson 'Nelly' Smallbone, Jim Prescott, my father Joe Rogers; front row Edward 'Tiny' Burke, and your Grandfather John Dawson. The photo was in my uncle's collection of photos whom your Grandfather would also have known TSM Ken McAllister of No.2 Commando. It can be viewed here but I have also attached it to this forum message. Sadly Nelson Smallbone was later killed in action on 11 March 1945 :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/IMG_6973_001.jpg.html

I am not sure how much I will be able to help regarding your screenplay but please feel free to contact me if you read this on my email address below

Regards

Pete Rogers
[Thumb - 2 cdo sgts.jpg]
 Filename 2 cdo sgts.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description No.2 Cdo. Sgts. and includes back row left to right Nelson 'Nelly' Smallbone, Jim Prescott, my father Joe Rogers; front row Edward 'Tiny' Burke and John Dawson.
 Filesize 171 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  344 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 20/10/2011 10:31:22

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger