commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Pte Ernest Ashton  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have received an email from Glen Ashton who is seeking information regarding his grandfather.

Glen Ashton wrote:dear sir,i was wondering if you could tell me what commando unit,my grandad were in.he were in army 1936-1948.pte. ernest ashton from barnsley,with thanks,glen ashton.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Nick

I have a Gnr. E. Ashton that is possibly identical on a list of No.2 Commando. Can you give Glen my email address as I have some personal details that may confirm this, or not, as may be the case

Pete

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 19/10/2011 01:00:28

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Glen has contacted me direct and as a result this is a section of my reply to him:

I can confirm that your Grandfather, Ernest Ashton, and his friend Ted McGhee, were both in No.2 Commando. Your Grandfather was in the Royal Artillery ( Light Anti Aircraft) prior to the Commandos. He was attached to No.2 Commando from there. Ted was in the Royal Artillery (Coastal) and attached from there to No.2 Commando. The list I have is an unofficial one but quite an accurate one. The next of kin for your Grandfather is shown as his wife from Cumnock, Ayrshire (full address supplied), and his father from Barnsley (full address supplied). Incidentally your Grandfather's friend Ted McGhee's next of kin is shown as his wife and resident at the same address in Cumnock as your Grandfather.

and

To get the full details of his military service you, or your father, would have to apply for a copy of his Army Service record from the MOD. If you decide to go down this path please contact me and I?ll explain how to do so should you need that. In the meantime I will update the forum post put on by Nick. Your Grandfather you say served in Gibraltar, Sicily, and Italy, this was the route No.2 Commando followed. They then went to the Island of Vis off the coast of Yugoslavia, Albania, back to Italy, and finally some went to post war Germany. Of course this would be dependant on him staying within No.2 Commando

I am hoping Glen may be able to get some photos of his Grandfather and/or any of his Commando comrades for inclusion in the gallery

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 19/10/2011 14:43:49

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks for that Pete.

nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger