commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
William J Stevenson 2928629  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
William Stevenson
Forum Member

Greetings
My father, enlisted in the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders in 1934.
He was Posted to 2 Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment on 22.4.40.
He was Posted to 3rd Commando on 07.07.40 where he remained until 12.01.41 when he was posted to Infantry Training Centre. During this period I think he was a Lance Corporal.
His military record shows a few mistakes and later on records him being posted to 1st Parachute Brigade which is quite confusing.
Can anyone suggest where I can start trying to establish if it was in fact 3 Commando and any other avenues of research.
My father died in Korea in 1955 while serving with the Colours and I never had the chance to ask him myself.
Cheers
Bill Stevenson
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Bill,
Welcome to the CVA.
Whilst I don't doubt you ability to decipher your father's Service Records you say that there are a number of mistakes - is it possible that you have mis-interpreted the records? i know they can be difficult to read and sometimes entries are not in chronological order.

If you wish I could have a look at them for you and see if I can spot anything that may have gone un-noticed.

With regards the posting to the Parachute Brigade, when the Commandos were disbanded a number of commandos joined the Parachute Brigade - after all the Para's were actually spawned from the Commandos, there being no such thing as Para's before the War. So the posting to The Para's is quite possible.

Regards,

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
William Stevenson
Forum Member

Nick
the type of mistake I have come across is for example, mention of him being posted to the 12 Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment. That should read 2nd Battalion of that regiment. I have recently asked for another copy of my fathers service record which I am now informed should be more complete than the abbreviated version I am in possession of. I will contact you again when I have that new information in hand.
Thanks
Bill
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

A link to the Armed Forces Memorial page in memory of Sgt William Stephenson:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/afm2/certificate-hi-res.php?SerialNo=X4613

We will remember them

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
William Stevenson
Forum Member

Thanks for that, much appreciated.
Cheers
Bill

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger