commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No. 2 Commando, Operation Roast - Photos  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I recently had the pleasure to meet up with Des Rochford of 1 Troop, 2 Commando, and he sold me a handful of (modern reprints) of original photos taken by him and a chap called, Zwet. Here are some of the photos taken during the battle of Lake Comacchio.

In Des? words, Zwet was apparently a Cossack, from Palestine who was half Jewish and half Russian. He stood on a mine at the end of the battle and had both his legs blown off, he had the presence of mind to put two tourniquets on his two stumps so he didn?t bleed to death. He survived the war and went round for the rest of his life on two tin legs (rather like Douglas Bader). Every ten years he used to come back to Britain to Roehampton to get a new pair of tin legs.

The photographs and information is all courtesy of Des, I would welcome any info and verification of the above.

Geoff please add to the galleries as appropriate. More to come soon.

Enjoy
Paul
[Thumb - Comacchio Apr 45 2 Cdo HW Tp.jpg]
 Filename Comacchio Apr 45 2 Cdo HW Tp.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Lake Comacchio, Italy, April 1945, 2 Commando Heavy Weapons Troop, No. 1 on gun Pt. Herbert Schriber
 Filesize 405 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1248 time(s)

[Thumb - Comacchio Apr 45 2 Cdo 5 Tp.jpg]
 Filename Comacchio Apr 45 2 Cdo 5 Tp.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Lake Comacchio, April 1945, Churchill Tank of North Irish Horse arriving to relieve 2 Commando 5 Troop. Pt. John Carpenter (foreground)
 Filesize 328 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  963 time(s)

[Thumb - Comacchio Apr 45 Turkoman Div Prisoners.jpg]
 Filename Comacchio Apr 45 Turkoman Div Prisoners.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description April 1945, Mongolian Prisoners, Turkoman Division, German Army. Captured Lake Comacchio
 Filesize 360 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1123 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/10/2011 21:02:32

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Paul

Thanks for the posting with photos.

Zvi Zvet was an interpreter with No.2 Commando who was as you say severely injured. We have several photos of him at post war reunions including this one:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/2+Cdo+vets/Zvi+Zvet_+Israel_+1960.jpg.html

The photo with 5 troop and the tank was also in the possession of Stanley Buckmaster and it was printed many years ago in a copy of After the Battle magazine after Stanley provided them with some photos. It is indeed John Carpenter from 5 troop that you point out and whom Eric Buckmaster had also previously identified for me. I actually have a copy of that photo but somehow it was one that got missed.

I have not seen the other 2 before. However the man Des names as Pte. Herbert Schriber, I have listed as Pte. 13809326 H. Schreiber ( slight spelling variation to yours) attached to No.2 Commando from the Pioneer Corps, his next of kin being his sister who lived in Casablanca.

I will add the pictures with Commandos to the gallery soon

Pete

Update 12/10/11... 2 of the photos showing Commandos now posted in the gallery

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 12/10/2011 23:37:42

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks for the correct spellings, Pete. That explains why I couldn?t find reference to them when I searched the forum. I think there?s a high probability that Des did copy some of them from Stanley, as I know Des is still in regular contact with Eric Buckmaster.

KR
Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Tim Bullen
Forum Member

It may be of interest. Svi Svet told my father that he was intending to write a book about his wartime experiences. This would have been during one of his visits to England, somewhere around 1984.
Does anyone know of any books by him? If he was published, it would have most likely been in Israel.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

just one of the many acts of bravery that took place during this action 71 years ago this month:

Acting Lance Corporal Eric Richard Clifford Groves MM, No.2 Commando

On 17th April 1945 L/Cpl. Groves's troop attacked along the dykes west of Argenta to capture the bridges across the River Reno and neighbouring canals. Shortly after the objectives were captured, the enemy counterattacked in strength down all three dykes. The bren group defending the western dyke was knocked out by a mortar bomb, leaving the left flank badly exposed. L/Cpl. Groves saw enemy troops with panzerfaust and spandau infiltrating down the western dyke. Realising the danger, he immediately, and on his own initiative, led his bren group across the demolished bridge over the canal which was under heavy small arms and mortar fire. He reached the dyke when the enemy had advanced to within less than 100 yards of the bridge and ordered his bren to open fire, but the bren jammed. Groves drew his revolver and rushed towards the enemy over completely bare ground, which was subjected to heavy enemy small arms fire. He fired rapidly into the enemy driving them back, and enabled his bren team to get their gun working again. His prompt and courageous action undoubtedly saved a critical situation and prevented the enemy over-running the left. flank

Nb. Click on his name at the beginning to find out more about LCpl Groves who survived the war.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/04/2016 23:15:40

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

And another this time whose Gallantry was recognised with the highest award, but sadly he did not survive

Major Anders Lassen VC, Special Boat Service, SAS Regiment, AAC, was attached to 2 Commando Brigade at the time of his death

War Office, 7th September, 1945

In Italy, on the night of 8th/9th April, 1945, Major Lassen was ordered to take out a patrol of one officer and seventeen other ranks to raid the north shore of Lake Comacchio. His tasks were to cause as many casualties and as much confusion as possible, to give the impression of a major landing, and to capture prisoners. No previous reconnaissance was possible, and the party found itself on a narrow road flanked on both sides by water. Preceded by two scouts, Major Lassen led his men along the road towards the town. They were challenged after approximately 500 yards from a position on the side of the road. An attempt to allay suspicion by answering that they were fishermen returning home failed, for when moving forward again to overpower the sentry, machine gun fire started from the position, and also from two other blockhouses to the rear. Major Lassen himself then attacked with grenades, and annihilated the first position containing four Germans and two machine guns. Ignoring the hail of bullets sweeping the road from three enemy positions, an additional one having come into action from 300 yards down the road, he raced forward to engage the second position under covering fire from the remainder of the force. Throwing in- more grenades he silenced this position which was then overrun by his patrol. Two enemy were killed, two captured and two more machine-guns silenced. By this time the force had suffered casualties and its fire power was very considerably considerably reduced.

Still under a heavy cone of fire Major Lassen rallied and reorganised his force and brought his fire to bear on the third position. Moving forward himself he flung in more grenades which produced a cry of " Kamerad ". He then went forward to within three or four yards of the position to order the enemy outside, and to take their surrender. Whilst shouting to them to come out he was hit by a burst of spandau fire from the left of the position and he fell mortally wounded, but even whilst falling he flung a grenade, wounding some of the occupants, and enabling his patrol to dash in and capture this final position.

Major Lassen refused to be evacuated as he said it would impede the withdrawal and endanger further lives, and as ammunition was nearly exhausted the force had to withdraw. By his magnificent leadership and complete disregard for his personal safety, Major Lassen had, in the face of overwhelming superiority, achieved his objects. Three positions were wiped out, accounting for six machine guns, killing eight and wounding others of the enemy, and two prisoners were taken. The high sense of devotion to duty and the esteem in which he was held by the men he led, added to his own magnificent courage, enabled Major Lassen to carry out all the tasks he had been given with complete success.

nb. Click on his name above for more.

nb. Click on this link for more about Operation Roast

We will Remember them

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 16/04/2016 23:16:09

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger