commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Thomas (Tommy) Wardle No.5 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Wardle93
Forum Member

I would appreciate any info on my late grandfather Tommy Wardle who served in No 5 Cdo there are photos on this site which picture him in India/Burma I have tagged them with his name, how can I find his rank/troop etc. He passed away in 1973, when I was 10 years old, I only have vague recollections of his war time tales, many thanks. Just attached one of the photos from the gallery my grandad Tommy is centre, front row
[Thumb - grandad.jpg]
 Filename grandad.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 53 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  328 time(s)

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Steven,
Tommy is pictured in a collection of photos that belonged to the late Sgt Ted Tharme. Sgt Tharme was in 1 Mortar Section , 6 Troop so it would be reasonable to say that Tommy was also in 6 troop - although it was not uncommon for commandos to move between troops on promotion.

To find out ranks or more information you'd need to read his Service Records which will give you details of enlistment, training, postings, transfer to commandos, theatres served, wounds, hospitalisation etc

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/ServiceRecords/MakingARequestForInformationHeldOnThePersonnelRecordsOfDeceasedServicePersonnel.htm

This link will take you to the appropriate website but if you need any assistance please let me know.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/10/2011 01:11:16

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Wardle93
Forum Member

Many thanks Nick, couple of piccs that I have found:1). Thomas Wardle
2). Thomas (Tommy) Wardle and Pals. Tommy is far right, next to him I believe is Ted Tharme (can any one validate?
[Thumb - Tommy1.jpg]
 Filename Tommy1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 248 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  314 time(s)

[Thumb - Tommy2.jpg]
 Filename Tommy2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 306 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  311 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/10/2011 01:45:21

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Both above photos which had been sent to me by Steven are now in the 5 Cdo gallery on these links where they are much clearer :

Thomas Wardle

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/Tommy+wardle+5cdo+1.jpg.html

and

Thomas Wardle with others

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/Tommy+wardle+5+cdo+2.jpg.html

Is the third man from the right wearing the beret badge of the Royal Marines ?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/10/2011 01:54:14

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Steven,

Wardle93 wrote:Thomas (Tommy) Wardle and Pals. Tommy is far right, next to him I believe is Ted Tharme (can any one validate?

I'm afraid that the commando next to Tommy is definitely not Ted Tharme - the cap badge appears to be that of the Scots Guards whereas Ted Tharme was not in the Scots Guards.
Furthermore, on close inspection Tommy's single Lance Corporal stripe can be seen on his left arm, Ted Tharme was a Sgt, yet the commando next to Tommy does not appear to be wearing any NCO's chevrons.

Pete wrote:Is the third man from the right wearing the beret badge of the Royal Marines ?

Yes, definitely a Royal Marine.
This could well have been Les Aucott, a Royal Marine attached to No5 Cdo (2 Troop).

Thanks so much for those photos Steven - as I've often said before - one seemingly insignificant piece of information can so often be of great significance and can unlock another piece of the greater picture.

Nick

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 09/10/2011 22:15:10

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Wardle93
Forum Member

Thanks Nick and Pete, we have a few more piccies which my mum's trying to uncover, the single stripe answers a question or two (or creates a few more) my late grandmother always said that Tommy was a bit of a handful and was demoted from Sgt for a bit of a fracas. We have never been able to substantiate this.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Wardle93 wrote:... the single stripe answers a question or two (or creates a few more) my late grandmother always said that Tommy was a bit of a handful and was demoted from Sgt for a bit of a fracas. We have never been able to substantiate this.

Steven,
Any promotion (and demotions) should be shown on his Service Records.
Indeed they should also show the reason why he would have lost his stripes - a not too uncommon occurrence.

I have read and deciphered many Service Records and have uncovered the fact that one guy was thrown into a Detention Camp for a few days, on release he took up his new duties - as a member of staff in the very same Detention Camp! Another lost his Sgt's stripes for 'overloading his jeep'.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger