commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
5439410 Victor Robert Bailey - 3 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Sue Bowe
Forum Member

Does anybody have any information about my father???? Sadly, Vic passed away in 2007 at the age of 88.
Regards,
Sue Bowe (nee Bailey)
Sue Bowe
Forum Member

I have just been looking through some group photos of 3 Commando and my father is in one. The photo is 3 Commando in Italy 1943 by Ian Grant. My father is 4th from the left in the middle row.
[Thumb - 2997x1850x3_Commando_Italy_November_1943+-+owner+Ian+Grant_jpg_pagespeed_ic_w3MjtIsj07.jpg]
 Filename 2997x1850x3_Commando_Italy_November_1943+-+owner+Ian+Grant_jpg_pagespeed_ic_w3MjtIsj07.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1131 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  328 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Sue

Welcome to the CVA website. I have now updated the photo above with your father's details.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/trp+photos/3_Commando_Italy_November_1943+-+owner+Ian+Grant.jpg.html

Do you have any other pictures of your father from his Commando days or at post war reunions, or indeed any of his comrades from the Commandos. If so, and you would allow us to include some in our galleries, please contact me on my email address below. If you let me know what sort of information you are looking for I may be able to help you there, or at least point you in the right direction. In the meantime keep browsing the 3 Commando and other galleries such as the Commando Gatherings pre CVA as you may find another. If so just let me know the title of the photo and the gallery it is in. I will be able to find it from there and update it accordingly.

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 26/09/2011 20:29:10

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Sue Bowe
Forum Member

Hi Pete,
Thank you for your reply. Just a query regarding the photo - the one that Vic is in states it is Italy where as the last picture in the gallery states it is Sicily. Almost identical pictures with the same building and fir tree in the background?
What information I have about Vic's war service is that he served at Dieppe, Italy, Sicily, North Africa and D Day (Sword Beach).
I don't believe he went to any of the re-unions but I do know he received the 3 Commando newsletter and later on in his life went to France to see some of the war graves.
Vic didn't go into many details about what happened to him apart from where he served so it would be good if anybody remembers him but I do realise that most of those who served at that time have passed on.
I will sort some photo's out and email them to you.

Regards,
Sue.
Ian Grant
Forum Member

Hi,

The 3 Commando photo belonged to my father. He had written " Italy November 1943" on the back. According to the 3 Commando war diary [see attached extract ] it was taken on 8th November 1943 in Cannizarro , near Catania, Sicily. After action in Sicily and the Italian mainland, 3 commando spent November and December in Sicily before returning to the UK around Christmas 1943.

Sue, my father is standing in the back row, 3rd from the left, just behind your father. So it's likely they knew each other.

Best regards

Ian Grant
[Thumb - War Diary.JPG]
 Filename War Diary.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 4223 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  378 time(s)

Ian Grant
Forum Member

Hi,

Correction , my father is 4th from the left in the photo!
[ missed the man on the extreme left ]

Ian
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have updated the photo with the above information from Ian. If there are individual photos of those mentioned above from their Commando days or at post war reunions please email them to me, on my email address below, and I will include them in our Gallery. Please include as much detail as possible with each photo.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/trp+photos/3_Commando_Italy_November_1943+-+owner+Ian+Grant.jpg.html

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/09/2011 23:29:26

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Sue Bowe
Forum Member

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for clarifying my query regarding the photo and the information about 3 Commando.

Pete has very kindly put two photo's of Vic in an album on site.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/victor+bailey/

Kind regards,
Sue.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/09/2011 10:57:07

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger