commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Info about Harry Johnson, 4 Commando 1941-1945  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
martin dunn
Forum Member

Hi everyone. Just trying to find out some more information about my uncle, who started in Royal Artillery the joined 4 Commando. I know he was in Africa, Italy and Arnhem. Thanks, Martin.
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Martin

Does he have any other initials? Have you got his service number? I have two Johnson's listed at Dieppe with No4.

No4 Commando were not in Africa, Italy or Arnhem are you sure of his Commando?

Best wishes with you search.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
martin dunn
Forum Member

Hi again. I have found a kit bag of his, no. 777595, and found out a bit more about his hsitory. He was born in 1909, and joined the army under age at 15, served in Afghanistan 1929-32. Was in Dunkirk, joined Commandos as one of the first in, shot in arm in Laphoten Islands. The info about being in Africa with Montgomery was second hand, so it may have just been he met Monty, not sure. Definitely at Arnhem and Italy. Don't think he had a middle name. Thanks, Martin.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Martin

The raid you refer to was on the Lofoten Islands in March 1941 and No.3 and No. 4 Commando participated. The locations of Arnhem and Italy as Bill said do not correspond with actions by No.4 Commando. 3 Commando were in Italy but not at Arnhem (incidentally this was Montgomery's plan to end the war early) . Do you have any documents relating to his military service, or any photos relating to his military service? These can often reveal how his military career progressed. For instance you say No.4 Commando from 1941 -1945. Did your uncle tell you this or how have you come by this knowledge? Many people joined the Commandos and later left for a variety of different reasons. That may explain the different theatres of war. You can post photos on here but if there are quite a few could you scan and email them to me on the email address below and I will have a good look through and post those relevant either here or in the gallery. Do you know if he ever joined the original Commando Association after the war. An example of membership books of that association can be seen here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/documents/Cdo+assoc_001/

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 19/09/2011 01:08:22

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Martin

Service number does not relate to the two Johnson I have on the Dieppe list but not all the No4 Commando were there.

Pete can be a great help so carry on correspondance with him

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger