commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Hugh Maines, No1 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

I am absolutely thrilled and delighted with nominal roll that you have posted for 11 Ind Cpy that contains my father's name, although it has incorrectly stated his initial, his army No is spot on. It is fantastic to have some actual documentary evidence that he took part on this historic first ever raid.
I have recognised some other names contained in the list as future members of No1 Cmd and have recently been in contact with the son of one of them ie Wogel, so I will send him a message to make him aware of his father's name in the nominal roll for 11 Ind Cmp.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post this message, it means a great deal to me.

Cheers Andy

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 17/06/2014 23:49:04

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
journeyman
Forum Member

I'm a little surprised that no one else on the forum has acknowledged Ted Jones MM continued existence!. Although he never served with a Commando Unit, be in no doubt he was one of the guinea pigs, along with Hugh Maines. Probably the only living veteran from that 115 men who climbed into the 4 x boats on the night of the 24 June 1940. Which opened the door for the raids that would follow. Quite important.

Incidentally Andy I will be getting the picture to Ted of the guys on the boat, to see if it rings any bells. I will be telling his story at a Comrades Dinner on the 28th June.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 20/06/2014 14:10:59

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

One maybe two of the men named in your list (not including my father) have also been identified in the St Vaast raid photo that appears at the beginning of this message strand ie O'Shea and Wogel. These two were named by a former member of No1 Cmd, Idris Jones, who sadly died last Feb. I remember Idris saying that he was not sure if the mans name was Shea or O'Shae, I have attached a link to this annotated photo that I uploaded in to the gallery some time ago just in case you have not yet seen it.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/Operation+deepcut/2-numbered+Copy+of+CA5-+_933KB_+Operation+Deepcut-No1+Commando-5+Troop+copy+copy.jpg.html

Cheers Andy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/06/2014 21:48:45

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
journeyman
Forum Member

Thanks Andy, so its not an Op Collar picture then?
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi
No it's a photo of Operation Deepcut carried out by No1 Cmd in 1941, hope you don't mind me asking but does the nominal roll for Op Collar that you posted come from a report on the raid and if so do you have a copy.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
journeyman
Forum Member

I believe it comes from the unit records. My own website www.rwf-forum.co.uk also has the war diary leading up to the raid?Not a lot to say, other what training the unit was conducting each day. Remember it was only ten days from formation, till the raid. However the actual report of the raid is held at Kew.
journeyman
Forum Member

Just to say that Ted Jones MM (he of Op Collar) is still with us. He had a rough couple of months, but this coming Tuesday 13 Dec 2016, our RWF Branch will sit down to Xmas Lunch at a little pub, not far from Welshpool with Ted and no doubt toast his continued health.

Jmn
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

Thanks for the update and glad to hear that Ted is still in good health.

All the very best, Andy

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 11/12/2016 18:26:14

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
journeyman
Forum Member

Many thanks for the response Andy,

Incidently another of the boys sitting down for Xams Dinner also served with your Dad. An old boy called Roy Beeston. He was a member of the 2RWF Pioneer Pl in Malaya in the 1950's when your Dad, having returned from commando service, was a CSM of one of the Company's. Roy's a great guy, but probably just happy to get his National Service completed (who could blame him).
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Very pleased to hear about Ted Jones MM, thanks for the update and I hope you all have a fantastic lunch on Tuesday...

Nadolig Llawen a pob hwyl...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
pwogel
Forum Member

Hi
My name is Paul Wogel son Albert Raymond Wogel; Army number was 41929949 RWF Enlisted 11th April 1939.
On the 4th March 1941 he was posted to No 1 Commando
Was involved in operation Deep Cut
Was involved in Tunisia and was fund wearing a GI uniform

Trying to find out if he was wounded or taken prisoner in South Africa
I believe he may have come home suffering PTSD symptoms
He was discharged on Oct 1st Oct 1944
He passed away 26th Dec 1952 I was 6 weeks old at the time

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger