commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
POX/111957 Cpl Jack Williams  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

FOUND THIS ON ODDYSSEY
Looking on "HMS Odessy" in Google search will bring you good info on the shorebase establishment, Stating that it was an administration centre based in a hotel.
Further info on wartime military deaths can be found on the Commonwealth Wargraves Commission site. I had an uncle who was a Royal Marine killed in Belgium in 1944 and there is a cemetarty just outside Antwerp with several graves of Royal Marines from HMS Odessy.
Hope this helps
: Good day,
: : Can anyone supply any information on HMS Odyssey? Don't know if it
: was a ship or shore base,but there is some connection with Holland.Trying
: to get this information for a friend who is tracing family history,and had a
: relative who was a Royal marine serving at/in HMS Odyssey,was killed
: during WW11 and is buried in Holland.
: : Many thanks for any help,
: : Brian Hope.

: 14 Nov. 2011
: Serving as Rear Admiral, Reginald Vesey Holt, the last SBNO AND RAY,
: from 2.10.44 was, "Odyssey addl. for Naval Party No. 1737 and as Naval
: Officer in charge designate, Denmark."

: Ref: NA ADM 196/49.

: It seems possible that H.M.S. 'ODYSSEY' was liberated Denmark.
: John Parkinson

[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

View topic - A European Road trip, 1944 - 1946. UPDATED 12/11/12
forums.airshows.co.uk ? General Forums ? Off Topic
25 posts - 18 authors - 16 Jun 2011
From the different shore bases shown on his service record, we saw that at around the time of D-Day he was posted to a "HMS Odyssey".

you have to read this story about Oddyssey and D,DAY - It relates to Juno Beach , 30AU , AND OTHER EXCITING STUFF
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

HMS Odyssey was according to "Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy" a base for special operations at Portsmouth.
I also know that this title was also given to a Naval Party
that went to the Belgian Port of Ostend to clear Mines.
It was involved in some special operations on D-day.
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Update on identifying which unit my late grandfather served in during the Second World War as a royal marine commando, I found a photo in the 45 commando gallery of someone who resembled him however the photo was a bit dark and difficult to identify as him.

I have emailed the photo to the black dot imaging company and had the photo colourised and enhanced, this along with a few long lost family photos we have recently found have been compared and we can now star that we have found him as a commando in 45 Royal Marines Commando as we were told by my late grandmother many years ago as part of lovatts brigade, currently re-applying for his service docs as the ones we had from DRORM were not the complete papers.

18 years I have searched for a photo of him in his green beret and my mission is complete, I also now have photos of him from his early days in the marines, when the colourised photo without the watermark is sent to me I will attach.
[Thumb - image.jpg]
 Filename image.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description corporal jack williams PO/X 111957 Royal Marines Commando, sat in lorry smoking
 Filesize 100 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  525 time(s)

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger