commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando Berets.  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I do not really know much about the Berets, and certainly bow to the greater knowledge of those who have posted on this topic. However I wondered if you had spotted this picture in our gallery of the Commando beret of the late Ronald 'Ken' Young of No.9 Cdo. It's a good picture of the inside of his beret.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/9/ron+young/beret+of+Ronald+_ken_+Young.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete,
Yes, a good picture of the beret ,which clearly shows the stitching, but the inside is not quite in focus to be 100% sure but I would say no plastic diamond in this one.
Also, the white printing which shows size and, more importantly, date cannot be seen - so we are unable to determine if it was an original WWII issue or a post war replacement.

The story goes on... ;-)

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bukta are an old maker of cub scout berets I'm afraid, they do though happen to be exactly the same shade as WWII commando berets!!

http://www.buktavintage.com/buktahistory.html

Cheers
Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Doug
Forum Member

I have attached a couple of photos of a green beret believed to have belonged to Tom Churchill.

Doug
[Thumb - P1000648.jpg]
 Filename P1000648.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description green beret stitching
 Filesize 154 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  431 time(s)

[Thumb - P1000641.jpg]
 Filename P1000641.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description green beret interior
 Filesize 243 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  449 time(s)

JB
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete,
very nice one also to see the 9 commando hackle which was longer lived than the yellow 5 commando hackle. Given the floppy look and overall impression I think this one is ww2 era.

Cheers
JB

Pete wrote:I do not really know much about the Berets, and certainly bow to the greater knowledge of those who have posted on this topic. However I wondered if you had spotted this picture in our gallery of the Commando beret of the late Ronald 'Ken' Young of No.9 Cdo. It's a good picture of the inside of his beret.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/9/ron+young/beret+of+Ronald+_ken_+Young.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Peter Cooper
Forum Member

The IWM have a section listing all British wartime beret manufacturers.
Try: iwm.org.uk/collections

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I've distilled everything I know about WWII berets into a quick guide attached, hopefully this summary is helpful but by no means complete, I'd welcome any comments additions or corrections

Cheers
Paul
 Filename WWII Berets.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 462 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  17503 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/01/2012 19:09:42

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
JB
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Very impressing and useful document Paul,

Not a lot of comments. The beige liner was made by Kangol in 45 and 46 and I have seen it only in maroon berets. I have once owned one produced 1945 but with WD inspection stamp L (1946). See attached. If a beret has been messed with and eg a ww2 tankers lining has been put in a green beret it is really tricky. In done well you only discover on close inspection when it is in your hands.

Cheers

JB

Belly wrote:I've distilled everything I know about WWII berets into a quick guide attached, hopefully this summary is helpful but by no means complete, I'd welcome any comments additions or corrections

Cheers
Paul
[Thumb - Beret and badges May 15 2010 123.jpg]
 Filename Beret and badges May 15 2010 123.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 305 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  420 time(s)

[Thumb - October 17 2010 149.jpg]
 Filename October 17 2010 149.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 284 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  415 time(s)

[Thumb - August 8 2010 053.jpg]
 Filename August 8 2010 053.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 284 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  419 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/01/2012 22:08:40

Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks JB

Nice red beret! I think we drifted off topic a bit but I've really enjoyed this thread!!

Happy New Year!

Paul

[WWW]
Steve George
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Belly wrote:I think we drifted off topic a bit but I've really enjoyed this thread!!

Paul

The answer to my original question and much more. An enjoyable and educational thread!
Thanks to all.
Steve :)

250 Fld Amb, RAMC. HM Coastguard.

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger