commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Peter John GIBSON - 3 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Ian Grant
Forum Member

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response. I'm really pleased that it did turn out to be your father in the photo. I know how poignant it is to see an image of your dad as a young man and probably more so if it's one you've never seen before.

I'd have liked to be able to provide more information on the background to the photo but sadly I don't know any more than I already mentioned. It is interesting to study the two photos however and that might give some clues. For example the group sizes are different. There are fewer men in the photo I posted and one soldier on the extreme left has a facial dressing consistent with them having recently been in action.
Perhaps the best chance of identifying the group would be if any of the officers could be recognised. As a point of interest I noticed that one officer appears in both groups. Presumably he is the most senior officer. Is it Durnford-Slater, the CO?

Obviously I'd be extremely interested in any further information which you might turn up , including any conversation with Scotty. On the off-chance that he might recall my own father I'll pass on some additional details.
His regiment was the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. He had been a police constable prior to army service, came originally from the island of Islay and was a native Gaelic speaker.

Meanwhile, we'll just have to wait and see if the photo triggers any other memories.

Ian
SMcGurk
Forum Member

Ian and Rob,

We are pretty sure that the man seventh-in from the left could well be my granfather. Unfortunately we can't be 100% sure, as no one has a clear recollection of him. If it is, then this man is Ian Francis (Frank) McGurk. At this point we believe he would have been a Lieutenant.
We have his army records on the way, so if I manage to figure out which troop he was in, it may help all of us.

Siobhan

Edited to add: Does anyone think that the man eighth in from the left could be Durnford-Slater? And the ninth in Peter Young?? Just had a brief look at their photos...could be?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 07/06/2008 18:06:13

Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

could it be durford slater 7th and peter young 8th?

SE Donnison
[MSN]
SMcGurk
Forum Member

Actually, yes, Peter Young does look like 8th. Im not sure that Durnford-Slater is 7th thought.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/06/2008 11:14:18

Ian Grant
Forum Member

Hi Siobhan,

After a quick search on Google I'm pretty convinced that the officer 8th from the left and who also appears in the other photo, is Peter Young.
However, I haven't managed to find any good photos of Durnford-Slater. What I have seen does show a resemblance to the chap 7th from the left though. Obviously that would mean that it's not your grandfather unfortunately. Since Durnford-Slater was such a prominent character I'm sure there must be other members who could confirm whether it is him here.

Ian
SMcGurk
Forum Member

I have a photograph of Durnford-Slater in 'The Commandos' book. It looks similar but Im not convinced that it's a strong enough resemblence. It's difficult with only 1 photo to go on.

Anyway..here is a photo of my grandfather, see what you think....(Unfortunately he looks different in almost every photo we have of him, which is why it makes identifying him rather hard!) The jury is still out over here. I do own a photo which shows the resemblance much better than the one included, but I do not have it scanned in. I'm kinda of the opinion that it's not him because the nose looks a different shape...but take a look yourselves.

[Thumb - File0019.jpg]
 Filename File0019.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Francis McGurk
 Filesize 42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  575 time(s)

[Thumb - File0009.jpg]
 Filename File0009.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 2nd in from the left.
 Filesize 42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  491 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 09/06/2008 10:06:14

Ian Grant
Forum Member

After a bit more research, I don't think it is Durnford-Slater in the photo after all. The one image I found ( below) from July 1944 shows him to look quite a bit older.
Also, in August 1943 Peter Young became CO of 3 commando and Durnford-Slater was promoted in charge of a brigade. This would account for Young being in all the photos and Durnford-Slater would not have been there since the rest of the brigade was still engaged in fighting in Italy.
After losses in Sicily, 3 commando was reorganised into a headquarters and 4 troops. This might have been increased by reinforcement later though, since for example by own father rejoined in September from 2SAS.
Anyway, that's about all I can add at this point.
As for the soldier in question, I agree he does look similar to the photos of Siobhan's grandfather, so it still seems very much a possibility.
[Thumb - Durnford-slater.jpg]
 Filename Durnford-slater.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 48 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  533 time(s)

SMcGurk
Forum Member

Thanks for that info Ian, it was really informative. I did notice that the troop in the photo in question contains 51 men, whereas a few historians have mentioned that a troop would have consisted of between 60 and 70 men at this point. Perhaps the losses in Sicily and/or re-organisation account for the discrepancy.
It was also nice to have a an objective view on the similarities with my grandfather. I'm glad that you see some resemblance.

I think between us we can figure out which troop this is! We seem to have 4 options, one of which (troop number 3) already seems accounted for in the first picture.
Ian Grant
Forum Member

Hi,

After a little research in the 3 commando war diary, I've managed to trace the date and location of the troop photo which I uploaded here a few weeks ago.

The diary entry for November 8th 1943 is:
" 9.30 Commando photographs taken"
The place was Cannizzaro, a small town or suburb near Catania, Sicily.

Ian Grant
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Stéphane,

Reference your photograph 3 Cdo 3 Troop ITALY 1943

Front row far left Corporal Denham.

I have already sent you a photograph of him.

The forerunner of this association buried him.

Ian,

Please correct me if I am wrong, your father front row? The connection with Denham is he took this photograph.

[Thumb - 3com.jpg]
 Filename 3com.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 55 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  521 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 15/07/2008 13:56:01

Ian Grant
Forum Member

Hi,

Thanks for drawing my attention to your photo. Unfortunately my father isn't one of the group. Also, he was a private and I notice that the two men in front are sergeants. Since the photo was taken by Corporal Denham perhaps all the men are NCOs?
Grateful to you for posting it.

Ian Grant
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

This photo was taken near the closing stages of WW2 in Germany, Denham was an officer of 3 Commando by then. Yesterday I added his brief bio and photograph to the gallery.

I thought the photograph might of been your father as chap on the front does wear a beds and herts badge and also I thought he might of finished the war as an NCO. However the chap I thought was your father could be Fred Walker.

Oh well worth a try. When you receive your fathers service record I`d be very interested to know he came to serve in 2 SAS or if there is any mention of the Raiding Support Regiment.

Kind regards.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 16/07/2008 08:32:51

fuel
Forum Member

steph wrote:Hi ROB

No in 1985 I wasn't to the ceremonies at this time I was Gendarme and not in NORMANDY.
The photo in 1985 is good. I met all those veterans. Charles MAJOR died few years ago. Dennis COOPER was in 4 cdo, but was in reinforcement for Flushing.
I have an other photo about 3 troop before D.Day. but need to do copy.
Do you know, SCOTTY ? He was in 3 troop.
Have you got any other photos of ceremonies ?
bye

stéphane

Scotty as he is known, is my grandfather. he is a great man :)
Judi Kemp
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Rob,

My name is Judi Kemp and I live in North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

I just read your Dad's information and discovered that he was in all the same places, starting in Dieppe, as my Dad, Lt. Michael John Scovell No. 3 Cdo. Troop 2. Dad was also at Sword Beach and fought through to Pegasus Bridge, then on into France, etc. You can read his information and see photo in the Gallery.

I'm sorry to say that Dad died in March of 2002 at 82 and would have been coming up to 90 in January.

My Mum has loads of photographs during the War so I will mention your Dad's name. I am also in touch with Nick Birkinshaw who's Grandfather's name is Harold Hughes. We discovered to our mutual delight that his Grandpa and my Dad were friends and there is a photo in the Gallery of Mike Scovell and Cpl. Jack Carter sitting on Welbikes in Worthing, their picture was taken by Nick's Grandpa !

I have also been in touch with Mr. John Carney, I telephoned him over the weekend and he knew my Dad too. John was Sgt. Heavy Weapons in Troop 2 and Dad was Lt. in Motor Transport.

It would be great to hear from you as we may have more information in common.

Warm regards,
Judi Kemp

Judi Kemp
askeates
Forum Member

Hello Rob.

Have just found this web site.

My father is Maurice William John Bennett. Born in Bristol 1920.
He was posted to Largs where he met and married my mother.
Served at Dieppe, Italy, Germany and France, where he was a prisoner of war.

Showed my dad the photogragh of your father. Dad was a comando in 3 troop based in Largs. Dad remembers that he went on leave, to the home of Peter Gibson, he believes while training in Worthing.

I have reviewed some past enquiries and understand that you were unsure of which troop Peter was in. Dad confirms that it was definitely 3 troop.

Unusually we had a long discussion about his time during war years, following discovery of Vet Ass. He remembers a fair number of people. He was one of the first to land at Dieppe. His photo appears behind a soldier with bandaged head on the front cover of Picture Post on their return from Dieppe.

He is also in the picture of 3 troop in Italy that was on the site. He is the first one to the left of the tree, as you look at it.

Dad gave me permission to use his memories, but does not wish to join the Association or have anyone contact him..

Hope this is helpful even though it contradicts other replies that were posted.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger