commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando units attached 49th ... (poss Division) post D-day  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Pete Keane
Forum Member

Sorry about the lack of detail here, but trying to put together a slightly confusing bit of info.

Post D-day, which commando units were part of 49th Infantry Division, if any? Cant find an order of battle showing Commando units attached.

Of course, there were several infantry brigades, so could have been in oob of one of those.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Pete
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This might help if you look down to their their post D Day actions such as Le Havre:

http://www.army.mod.uk/structure/History.aspx

48 RM Cdo. were posted there immediately after it was liberated by the 49th Infantry Divn. and others

Also the Battle at the Scheldt involved amongst others the 49th and the 4th Special Service Brigade (RM Commandos)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 08/09/2011 10:15:28

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete Keane
Forum Member

i've had a look at 3, 4 & 6 briefly, but they are all shown as 1st Special Service Brigade......from looking at an oob for the 49th there are no Commando units shown as attached from 1 SSB.

Without going into each Commando in some depth i doubt I will be able to find troops being detached.

Its definitely Army Commando, not RM.

Will do some more digging.

cheers

Pete

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger