commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Operation 'Archery' Vaagso 1941  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi All
Wayne Donohoe is researching the Vaagso raid and in particular Capt Giles of 3 troop No 3 Commando.

Are there any surviving members who took part in the raid or remember the last get together reunion in Norway 2005 who would be willing to share their memories with him?

If there are could you contact me through the Greelids email and I will pass Waynes contact details on.

Thanks and Regards

John M

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/09/2011 14:42:51

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

geoffmurray1
Forum Member

We do have members of the CVA that were in Vaagso such as Colonel John Reynolds MC, Douggie Roderick (Sylvie's dad) and sadly we have just this month lossed Colonel Tom Sherman OBE (also St Nazaire). I will pm you John.

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Thanks Geoff

Regards

john M

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/09/2011 09:58:11

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

lorraine salter
Forum Member

The picture of No 3 commando on HMS Prince Leopold in the gallery is fantastic! Thrilled to bits as my gt Uncle Richard Harding is on it. We've been after a pic of him with his comrades for ages!
barry wales
Forum Member

In Brigadier John Durnford-Slater's book "Commando," the raid on the Lofoten Islands and later the raid on Vaagso by No 3 Cdo is described in great detail.He mentions Johnny Giles in both accounts and describes how he was killed clearing a house full of Germans at Vaagso.
I have Brigadier Peter Young's copy of the book as he was involved in both actions, and has made numerous margin notes.
Hope this is of some use.
Barry Wales

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger