commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Op. Abercrombie 18-22/4/42 No.4 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Regarding Operation Abercrombie, the Lord Lovat-led raid at Hardelot near Boulogne undertaken by elements of 4 Commando and the Canadian Carleton & York Regiment on the night of the 21/22 April 1942, I thought the following may be of interest.

I discovered the '4 Commando' graffiti scratched onto the wall inside one of the 1860s caponiers attached to the Napoleonic Drop Redoubt fort at Dover - part of the old Western Heights defences. The Drop Redoubt was where both units stationed their men from the 18th to the 22nd as they awaited the right weather conditions to launch the raid.

I've found the names of three Canadian soldiers scratched or written on the walls in pencil, i.e. Privates George Akerley, Everett Ricker and W. Springer, but this is the first piece of graffiti I can pin down to 4 Commando.

As one of a small group of local volunteers who help maintain the fort and try and research its history, if anyone has any extra information regarding Abercrombie, the participants or stories, I'd be really interested to hear.
[Thumb - 4 commando gun rooms fireplace caponier 4.jpg]
 Filename 4 commando gun rooms fireplace caponier 4.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Graffiti discovered in the Drop Redoubt, Dover.
 Filesize 100 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  913 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 05/09/2011 11:30:18

[WWW]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I've so far identified the following men who took part on the raid:

44718 Major Simon Fraser, the Lord Lovat commanding.

No.4 Commando (B&C Troop):
71766 Captain David Style
ADC Smith, (Adj. to Lovat)
53193 Lt. Jock Ennis (B Troop)
7893672 Troop Sgt. Mjr. James Dunning (C Troop)
L/Cpl Shearing (shot in leg)
2616669 William Spearman
868384 Bernard Davies
5344652 L/Cpl. Mann R. R. Berks
7902963 L/Cpl. Middleton F. R.A.C

Carleton & York Rgt (Canada):
Lt. Jack F. Ensor
Lt. Farthing, (Bridgehead)
Lt. Snell, (Brigehead)
Lt. W.Y. Smith, (No.1 patrol)
Lt. Thorton (Beachmaster)
Lt. Groom (in LSC, not to land)
Capt. Ian S. Maclean (M.O)
G21001 Pvt. George Leonard Akerley, D. Coy.
G17817 Pvt. Everett Ricker, D. Coy
Pvt. W. Springer, B. Coy

Of the Canadians 60 men and 1 WO were left behind in the Drop Redoubt.

These pictures show the current state of the fort - the old 1860s caponiers were the rather unpleasant accommodation for the troops.

[Thumb - Cap 2.jpg]
 Filename Cap 2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Caponier 3 at the Drop Redoubt, Dover, where the Canadian contingent were billeted from the 18th-22nd April 42 prior to the Hardelot raid.
 Filesize 111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  883 time(s)

[Thumb - Drop moats.jpg]
 Filename Drop moats.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description The Drop Redoubt, built 1804-08, refortified 1858-62. Base to Operation Abercrombie.
 Filesize 211 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  873 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/09/2011 18:52:05

[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

That's great to see that your research has paid off - fantastic result.

You may be interested to know that TSM James Dunning went on to become a Commando Instructor, was commissioned and reached the rank of Major.

Jimmy Dunning wrote the books:
'The Fighting Fourth [No.4 Commando at War 1940-45]'
'It had to be tough'
'When shall their glory fade?'

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 02/09/2011 23:56:39

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Nic,

It would be lovely to get in touch with Major Dunning or any other participants in Abercrombie to see what they remembered of Dover and the raid. I believe B and C Troops were involved of 4 Commando though not all actually went on the raid, some stayed behind in the fort.

What we (or I) are trying to do isn't really research into any particular unit or individual, but rather a history of the fort itself in order to construct a working chronology. In many ways the 19th century is better documented than the 20th - after 1900 incidents are just snatched references here and there. It's like trying to put together a jigsaw when you know that you will never have a complete picture.

It's amazing what can happen though with luck and persistance though. For example, just one photograph of a name on a wall e-mailed to the right place a couple of months ago has opened up an entire chapter of the summer of 1940 at the Drop Redoubt. It's non-commando, but hopefully it gives an idea of what we as a group are trying to do:

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/graffiti-trail-fort-s-past/story-13208128-detail/story.html

As for Abercombie, will it be covered in the 1942 War Diary? I'd love to obtain a copy of those nights detailing the raid. Is there anyone here who could kindly help?

Thank you!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/09/2011 21:19:32

[WWW]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I've just found two more Abercrombie graffitis in the fort - these two men I only twigged were 4 Commando after reading the Dieppe list posted elsewhere on this site. I had, in my error, assumed that any commando would have written his unit as '4 Commando', not as his 'home' regiment, hence I failed to identify them.

They are L/Cpl Middleton of the Royal Armoured Corps and L/Cpl R. Mann of the Royal Berkshires. I also have a L/Cpl Nobby Clarke of the RUR who appears to be associated, but I'm not certain whether he was a commando or not. All three are on adjacent bricks.

I think one must be L/Cpl 'Dickie' Mann who distinguished himself as a sniper at Dieppe a few months later. I believe he received the Military Medal. Does anyone have any more details?

I'd love to see a photo of either of these men so that I can show our tour groups the faces to match to the names - are there any available? Thanks.
[Thumb - Middleton.jpg]
 Filename Middleton.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description L/Cpl. F. Middleton graffiti found in the Drop Redoubt fort at Dover. 4 Commando utilised the fort prior to the Hardelot Raid in April 42.
 Filesize 867 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  882 time(s)

[Thumb - Mann.jpg]
 Filename Mann.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description L/Cpl. R. Mann graffiti found in the Drop Redoubt fort at Dover. 4 Commando utilised the fort prior to the Hardelot Raid in April 42.
 Filesize 979 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  902 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/09/2011 19:42:41

[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Phil

Just for the benefit of others as you may already be aware, I spoke with Jimmy Dunning, and he has said you can write to him and he will respond. I have forwarded you his home address by email

Pete

ps. In his book The Fighting Fourth, Jimmy Dunning mentions Sgt Eric 'Nobby' Clark

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/09/2011 19:58:29

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Pete.

I've had a look at my photo of 'Nobby' Clark of the RUR but unfortunately I cut off the end of Clark so I'm not sure if it ends on an 'e' or not. However, it clearly states that he was a Lance Corporal at the time so I'm not sure if he could have made it to Sgt in four months. However, it is clearly dated 1942. I'll try and get a clearer photo over the weekend.

It is interesting to speculate. The three (probably) graffitis from No.4 Commando are all Corporals and Lance Corporals. They were only at the fort for four nights including two on the actual raids. I reckon the L/Cpls went out together late night after confining the troops to the barracks in the caponiers and wrote on the wall of the old Side Arms Store together. I'm sure any ordinary soldier would have been put on a charge for leaving his name. It may not be a coincidence that I can't find any privates (yet)! All three names are on virtually on adjacent bricks.

I've found some nice evidence of the Canadian infantry too including traces of the dartboards they used to while away their time and scores written on the walls. One of the Carleton and Yorks I identified died on the first day of the invasion of Sicily, and another was wounded twice in Italy and died in 2002.
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Phil

Simply addressing the promotion issue of your last post

The Commandos were unique in many ways and this included promotion. When first attached to a Commando from their Regiment, they would lose any stripes they had and start from scratch so to speak. If they did not agree to this they did not get in. Promotion could then happen quite rapidly to those who showed the necessary skills and ability, and a willingness to lead. Such promotions would be temporary at first and then become War Substantive. Some of choice did not want promotion and were happy as they were and remained that way. The very man you are going to write to, Jimmy Dunning, made it very rapidly to Troop Sergeant Major aged just 22yrs. He later went on to be commissioned as you know. There are numerous other examples of rapid promotion within the Commandos

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 10/09/2011 08:42:21

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thank you Pete.

Here is L/Cpl 'Nobby' Clark for you. It is the right date and very close to Cpl. 'Dickie' Mann's and L/Cpl Middleton's names. It records his regiment as being the R.U.R.

I wonder if this is the same person as Sgt. Eric 'Nobby' Clark a mentioned in James Dunning's book as part of C Troop whose landing craft capsized during training in June 43?

I found some references to a Nobby Clark(e) in 3 Commando but sadly I think of any manner of confirming if is the same man or not. Was there much movement between commando units?

Thank you.
[Thumb - Clark.jpg]
 Filename Clark.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description L Cpl Nobby Clark RUR at the Drop Redoubt fort, Dover. 1942. Possibly Op. Abercrombie.
 Filesize 71 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  848 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 18/09/2011 20:42:32

[WWW]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I believe I may have just found a fourth commando. High up on the ceiling (he must have been given a bunk-up) I found a 'H Pike' engraved into a brick.

From Jimmy Dunning's photo in the gallery there certainly was a L/Bombadier H.F. Pike in C Troop at Dover Castle the day before the Hardelot Raid, and we now know they stayed at the Drop Redoubt immediately before and during the raid nights. So unless this is all a coincidence and there really were two people of the same name stationed in the fort at different times, I'd put money on this being our man.

According to the two references I've found to H.F. Pike, he participated at Lofoten, Hardelot and Dieppe before obtaining his commission. He later served in Korea where he was captured by the Chinese.
[Thumb - H Pike.jpg]
 Filename H Pike.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 24 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  869 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 19/09/2011 13:52:34

[WWW]
CMann
Forum Member

Hi Phil,

Thank you for posting the image of Richard Mann's grafitti. I am his grandson. My mother was delighted to see this - it brought back many happy memories. He did indeed receive the Military Medal for distinguished service at Dieppe. He passed away in 1987.

There is a photograph of him here:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/cdo++jd486.jpg.html

Ayrshire, where this picture was taken, is where he was billeted and where he met his future wife!

Best wishes
Ian & Carole Mann

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 07/12/2011 22:22:09

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Ian and Carol

Welcome to the CVA. What an amazing find. People are often surprised when they spot a photo of their relative on our site, but you have not only found a photo, but graffiti by your grandfather as well. That's got to be a first ! Should you have any additional photos of your Grandfather or any of his Commando comrades please contact me. My email address is below and also on the Contact Us section of this website

Regards

Pete Rogers

[Email]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Ian and Carole,

This is excellent! Thank you so much for getting in touch - it really makes all the effort we've put into to trying to trace names and relatives worth it. I'm so pleased to have added a dash of history to your grandfather's story.

Indeed, Richard actually left two such carvings - I only posted the better of the two on this forum.

If there is anything at all you could tell me about Richard, I'd love to hear, especially as we could include it in our guided walks of the Drop Redoubt. I have a copy of his Military Medal citation signed by Lord Lovat should you wish for a copy.

It gets even better for me as the photo you have linked to also contains an image of Eric 'Nobby' Clark, another of the soldiers who left their marks on the wall. As they were carved next to each other and are together in the photo, it implies they were probably great friends. This means that we've now seen images of three of our four identified C Troop Commandos (Messers Pike, Clark and Mann), the other being Frank Middleton, all thanks to this forum. I simply would never have believed it a few months ago when I started photographing the crumbling names.

It absolutely goes without saying that next year if you are passing through Dover one weekend, or would like a special trip please get in contact with me and I'll show you Richard's graffiti in person. That also goes for any member of the CVA who would like to visit our old fort and see where No.4 spent those few nights back in 42.

Below is an image of the 1860s Side Arms Store where I found the names of the No.4 members and two Canadians who were also on the raid. Dover Castle is in the background on the opposite side of the valley.
[Thumb - Drop Side Arms Store.jpg]
 Filename Drop Side Arms Store.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 58 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  878 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 08/12/2011 21:38:17

[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Phil,
That's a fantastic result (for you and Ian & Carole) and I hope you get the same buzz as I do when I get good results.
Thanks for sharing your research with us and for your generous offer to show CVA members the Commando graffiti.

Good luck,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

This is a bit of a wildcard, but were there any members of No.4 of the period with the nickname 'Dusty'? I have a piece of graffiti that looks as if it was written at the same time as those I have listed above, but sadly can't pin it to anyone.

It may be entirely unconnected and be a member of an infantry regiment from the nearby Grand Shaft Barracks, but if you don't ask...
[WWW]

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger