Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Joined: 26/03/2007 15:05:34
Messages: 350
Location: Ontario, Canada
Offline

After lengthy research, we determined that this officer,
who suffered execution following capture,
had been awarded the Distinguished Service Order
in recognition of his bravery and leadership during the Glomfjord operation.
This award had gone un-noticed for well over sixty years until we advised the C.W.G.C. of the error.

Here follows our request for amelioration in the matter:

From: JANET [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 04 December 2007 15:55
To: [email protected]
Subject: Capt. G. D. Black 106240
We are writing to notify you of an addition to be made to
the Casualty Details of the above-noted Officer of No. 2 Commando.

As you can see from your records:

Name: BLACK, GRAEME DELAMERE
Initials: G D
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Captain
Regiment/Service: South Lancashire Regiment
Secondary Regiment: Commando
Secondary Unit Text: and No. 2
Date of Death: 23/10/1942
Service No: 106240
Awards: M C
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 12. Column 1.
Memorial: BROOKWOOD MEMORIAL

The only award mentioned is the M C. We have recently come across information that Capt. Black was also awarded the D.S.O.
We have attached the link to the London Gazette page 5574 15 November 1945 to support this.

http://beta.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.aspx?pdf=37349&geotype=London&gpn=5574&type=ArchivedSupplementPage&all=106420&exact=&atleast=&similar=

We appreciate your attention to this matter.

Please advise when this has been attended to.

Thank you

Robert Bishop M.C.
No. 2 Commando
The C.W.G.C. response was:

Dear Mr Bishop

Thank you for your e-mails of 5/6th December 2007.

We are grateful to you for your evidence confirming that
Captain Graham Delamere Black was awarded the Distinguished Service Order.

We have now amended our paper records accordingly but due to a technical fault we cannot add awards to our casualty records on our database/web site.
As soon as this fault is corrected the DSO will be added to the record of Captain Black.

Please be advised that the panel on Brookwood Memorial
will not show the DSO at this time.
The panel will record the full information next time it is replaced.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Yours sincerely,

Mrs J Williams
Enquiries Section

AT LAST PROPER REMEMBRANCE HAD BEEN AGREED TO!

Bob & Janet

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 13/02/2009 21:47:04

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Joined: 10/04/2007 22:56:27
Messages: 3322
Location: Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire
Online

Janet & Bob,

Excellent news there, well done to you both.
Best regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Joined: 26/11/2007 13:06:45
Messages: 122
Location: England
Offline

Bob,

The information to be found the headstones of the CWGC on the most part is information provided by the next of kin. This information is not sourced from military records. That is why you will find so many errors and emissions.

The next of kin was sent a letter asking what information they wanted on the headstone...........for additional information bar rank, name, regiment they were sadly charged more for the work of the stonemason. This upset a lot of people back in the day.

I would suggest you keep your eye's pealed because I assure you there will be a lot more 'unknown commando' award inscriptions missing from headstones.

Steve.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 13/12/2007 10:46:45

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Joined: 10/04/2007 22:56:27
Messages: 3322
Location: Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire
Online

Bob & Janet have put in a huge amount of research and effort and work tirelessly in getting the CWGC Records updated - Capt Black is not the first they've had corrected and I'm sure he won't be the last.
Again, well done to both of you - I know how hard it is (I'm still working on Pte Peach, 5 Troop, No5 Commando).

Kind regards,
Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/12/2007 11:56:54

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Joined: 26/11/2007 13:06:45
Messages: 122
Location: England
Offline

London Gazette of 15-11-1945, Leader of Operation Musketoon, a successful raid on an electricity generating station at Glomfjord in German-occupied Norway in September 1942. Captured during the action, Black and six others were taken to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp, where they were executed on October 23rd 1942, the first victims of Hitler's infamous 'Commando Order'.

The majority of Honours and Awards of WW2 can be found on the National Archives Website under the WO 373/100 series. Sadly Captain BLack is recorded with the wrong initial.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=7694031&queryType=1&resultcount=421

War Graves are usually very good at making changes to their records as long as you can submit two pieces of evidence both from official sources.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/12/2007 13:51:38

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Joined: 18/04/2007 16:22:37
Messages: 1110
Offline

Well done Bob & Janet

Thank heavens someone is looking out for these errors

With much respect and kind regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger