commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Unveiling of CVA Memorial at the NMA - Sunday 29 July 2007  XML
Forum Index » Association Events
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Army Commando Memorial at the National Memorial Arboretum

Background. The CVA was offered a plot of land within the NMA some time ago and it was considered that we place a memorial to the Commandos on this plot. The memorial would be to all Commandos, from 1940 to present day, whatever service or cap-badge, however there were a few things that we had to consider. Firstly and most important, we did not want it to distract from the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge. Our annual pilgrimage to the Commando Memorial in Spean Bridge each year is a fantastic event, one which grows in numbers each year, one that can never be replaced, and hopefully one that will continue to be inscribed in the diaries of all Commandos and their families for generations to come. However we are also very aware of those more mature Commandos amongst us who cannot make the journey to the highlands of Scotland in winter. Secondly, due to the fact that our very good friends the Royal Marines were planning their own memorial in an adjacent plot, we decided that we should make it a memorial to the Army Commandos.

Plans. After much consideration we decided that a memorial to the Army Commandos, which will stand alongside the planned memorial to the Royal Marine Commandos, united by a mix of trees dedicated to both, would be a fitting idea. This will give them both their own individual memorial, but also join them together as they always have been. The memorial would also give those that cannot travel too great a distance an opportunity to continue reuniting with their comrades at least once a year, and also give us an opportunity to have a summer event. We subsequently agreed the plans at the CVA AGM in 2006, and submitted them to the NMA Trustees. Our plans have now been agreed (although we had to make a few changes to the plans for the surrounding area) and the memorial is in the process of being built by Anwick Forge, to be installed by early June.

Unveiling and Dedication Ceremonies ? Sunday 29 July 2007. We are now into the hectic planning stage of having an unveiling and dedication ceremony on Sunday 29 July 2007. This will be a family event consisting of the morning ceremonies (I have this week received confirmation from xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx that although my request was a little late in arriving, our memorial will be unveiled by a senior member of the xxxxx xxxxxx, which is fantastic news!); we will then follow up with a garden party either within the grounds of the Arboretum, or within the grounds of a large local hotel. The day will include tea/coffee and biscuits in the morning with sandwiches and refreshments on the afternoon; I will endeavour to have some form of entertainment also.

Tickets. Due to both the limited capacity at the NMA and also the sensitivity of our important guest, the day will have to be a ticket only affair; as a CVA member you will have priority for attendance. You are now cordially invited to order your tickets for your opportunity to be a part of this most auspicious occasion within the history of the Commandos. I envisage the cost of the tickets to be approximately £20 for adults and £10 for children (under 16s). The price of the ticket will cover the costs of the NMA hire-charges, invitations, correspondence, marquee, food, seating, PA system, etc, etc. In the unlikely event of any funds being surplus, these will go towards the Memorial fund.

Tickets can now be ordered from the Secretary, detailing FULL names and addresses of those wishing to attend. Members will be notified at a later date of arrangements for payment etc. and tickets will be forwarded accordingly. An information pack including a program of events for the day will be forwarded with tickets.

(Please note that CVA members can order as many tickets as they wish, however if the response is overwhelming, it may be necessary to reconsider this and place a limit on tickets, that limit being 2 per member. It is reiterated that CVA members will have priority.)

Summary. It is very exciting to see how far we have come as an Association in such a small space of time, and the support of each and every member is very much appreciated. This event will hopefully attest to how important the CVA is to the Commando Fraternity and how much we can achieve with that good old Commando Spirit. It would be really great to see you and your families in July.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 25/06/2007 23:13:51

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

UPDATE: The Army Commando Memorial is to be installed at the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas, Staffordshire, over 11-14th of June. The unveiling and memorial service will take place on Sunday 29th July. The service will include the dedication of our new Association Standard and the unveiling and dedication service of the memorial, followed by a garden party at the Staffordshire County Showground. This will be a day to remember with WWII and present day Commandos standing side by side. It is also a day for families and children, and 'friends of Commandos', the more the merrier. More information and tickets are now available from the Secretary. Please don't miss this very important day in the history of the Army Commandos.
ps. If you have lost a loved one who was a Commando then do not forget to order a memorial paver, which will be installed with the memorial for the unveiling on the 29th July. Contact the Secretary for details.

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
hockhamlain
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello All,
Just a reminder to check your accomadation bookings if you are staying over for the Unveiling at Alrewas, I thankfully checked mine today, to find that I had been booked in on the Thursday and would be booking out again on the Saturday, all before the unveiling took place! So maybe safer to double check. Just a thought.
Regards Ron
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My sister lives about 40 mins away from the Arboretum so we are sleepin there saturday night Cant wait now!

SE Donnison
[MSN]
lushershouse
Forum Member

does anyone know if we are all going to meet up on the Saturday night or will we be sitting in our room twidling our fingers!!! I know most people are in the premier but we could`nt get in there as they told me they don`t do family rooms!!so we`re in a travelodge up the road,so please let me know if you`re having "get together" and we`ll come and gatecrash!!take care 8)Denise xx
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

RV - Premier Hotel Fradley
1930 hrs til late

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/06/2007 23:49:23

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
lushershouse
Forum Member

8)Thanks for that Geoff,we look forward to seeing everyone there!! )take care,love from Denise,Nick and Ruby-Mae and Ethan xx

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/06/2007 10:45:00

Stephen Unwin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I am realy sorry that I can't be there, I booked my holiday last year to ensure my seats.

On my Dads memorial, its says:

'To the skirl of pipes, and in green beret, the men from Achnacarry led the way@

Can someone say these words at the dedication, I believe that this will put him with his mates.

:)

'To the skirl of pipes and in Green Beret, the men from Achnacarry led the way'
[MSN]
lushershouse
Forum Member

8)hello,when is the cut-off for ordering tickets? Have ticket allocations been made yet? I ordered mine some time ago when we re-newed our subs but little brother has decided he wants to come (he is a cva member) but does`nt know if he`s left it too late!!!take care,Denise xx
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Hi Denise, no worries I'll add a ticket to your order for little bro. Tickets are being picked up from printers tomorrow and will be in the post to you next week with a newsletter and all info for unveiling. Look forward to seeing you all there. Kind regards
Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
lushershouse
Forum Member

hello Geoff,please can you make my request for tickets :4 adults,that`s me,Nick,Jimmy and Zanny and 1 child for Ruby-Mae,then you can do want you want to them when you see them for mucking us about If you need private info on Jimmy and Zanny can you let me know and I`ll pm you thanks alot,take care,Denisexx

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/06/2007 14:30:41

lushershouse
Forum Member

only me again!! Thanks for the PM,will be in touch with the info asap,I was thinking....which is scarey Will we all need some form of ID as all our info is being taken,I understand that security will be tight.We have our membership cards but what about our guests?Thought I`d find out so I can sort out Rubes and Zanny.thanks alot,take care,Denisexx
hockhamlain
Forum Member
[Avatar]

A request
Would any one be available to Vid the unveiling at Alrewas, if so could you mail me PPM.
Regards Ron
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

got my official invitations i n the this morning post ! yooooooo
Staffs here we come

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

We have been watching with trepidation the flooding that has been happening lately in Britain. We certainly hope that this has not affected any of you and that it will not put a damper on the Ceremony on Sunday. We sincerely offer our congratulations to Geoff and John and all others who have worked so long and hard to put this together.

Our very best to all. Wish we could be there too. We will be thinking of our Comrades.

Bob & Janet

Forum Index » Association Events
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger