commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Pte. Les Powell, No2 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Craig -

As always it is with much regret that I have received the news of the passing of another Commando comrade - your Grandfather, in Australia. I have just returned from the Commando Remembrance meetings at Fort William where I found myself to be the only 2 Commando veteran present. Time marches on swiftly, Craig !!

Regarding your endeavours in some form of historical record of Leslie Powell's tenure with No. 2, I can only echo the advice that John Mewett has already communicated to you, which was to study a St. Nazaire narrative written by the former Lieut. S.W. Chant of No. 5 Commando, who decided to publish his own experiences in the raid. At least Lieut. Chant was there and it is the only book by a Commando officer who was present. I should explain that although the St. Nazaire raid was primarily a No. 2 Commando operation, none of the 25 officers of No. 2 Commando involved in the action went to press on the subject. No. 2 Commando officers have never written books on St. Nazaire or any other operation. I consider this to be the proper posture.

Your comment that your Grandfather never spoke of wartime experiences with us is in keeping with the public conception, which was mostly deserved, of Commandos being 'quiet' men. Good for old Leslie!

There is a wonderful opportunity available to you, Craig. You can download an Application for an Associate Membership in the Commando Veterans Association. By taking this action you would join the Associates who are the most important section of our organization, because without the Associates, remembrance of the Commando War Veterans will cease to exist in the not too distant future. The great CVA website, designed and administered by young Dan Mewett, contains so much insight and facts pertaining to all things Commando that it can be considered as the 'mother-lode' of Commando stuff. The best in fact that exists anywhere. You can read the history of your Grandfather's outfit, No. 2, and you can also be informed of all the doings of the other great Commando units who were our brothers. Many good photographs are available for you to see and I can assure you that some of them are rated as 5-star on the emotional scale.

So, after you have been a good No. 2 Grandson and joined, Craig, come back and we will talk some more.

Thank you for your remembrance of a No. 2 Commando.

Sincerely.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/02/2009 22:10:03

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger