commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
William Joseph Cunningham, No2 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Pamela. Our John Mewett has passed on your enquiry regarding your grandfather, William Joseph Cunningham, to me.

Obviously, the Henry Cunningham, K.I.A. 28-03-42, is not your relative, so we must have lost your Granddad somewhere in my 83 year-old memory.

No. 2 Commando was initially formed from Lancashire regimental personnel, so your Granddad's background from the Manchester Regt. sounds right, but beyond that I cannot remember a second Cunningham in our ranks. However, I will continue to look for any related information that could help.

Do you have a picture of William available? It could supply unit identification clues from uniform insignia.

Meanwhile, the best thing you could do is to follow the suggestion John made concerning contacting the Army Personnel Office in Glasgow, and be sure to give them as much information as he suggests.

Please stay in touch,

Best regards,

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 22/02/2009 22:10:56

figerocat
Forum Member

Hello Bob,

Thank you for getting back to me. I will obtain a photo of my Grandfather. I am not sure how good the quality will be, but I shall do my best.

I have already been in touch with the Army records office in Glasgow, they informed me that due to the Commando Units being Special Forces, with secrecy key to their success, little is recorded about them in the regimental records. For some reason they can not find him.

Could it be that he was part of a different Unit?

Someone told me that it is possible that there is some connection to the Navy. Is this right?

I thank you for you help. I am not having much luck in finding him, and sadly I can not ask him, as he died in January 1985.

I will find out as much information as I can from my father, and keep in touch.

Many thanks

Pamela.

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger