commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Victor Pratt, No2 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Yvonne:

Since your enquiry regarding your Dad's service with us I have been trying to crank-up my memory to remember him some sixty years after the fact. This is what I remember thus far. Only you will know if my recollections are on the right track, as you may have army records which I do not have.

1. Victor joined the army in mid or late summer of 1940.

2. His age was somewhere between 17 to 19 years on enlistment in 1940.

3. His first unit was the 70th Bn., Royal Norfolk Regiment.

4. Possibly he volunteered for 2 Commando service in early summer 1942. He would have been interviewed by Capt. The Duke of Wellington.

5. An intake arrived from Achnacarry posted to us in Ayr, I think about the last week in July 1942. This would have been Victor's first assignment to us. Your Dad then served under the command of Lt. Col. 'Mad' Jack Churchill for the next two and one half years, so you can be certain that his service was with distinction and exemplary military conduct or he would not have lasted under such a leader!

6. Victor's travels would have been to Gibraltar Feb. 1943, invasion of Sicily July 1943, landing at Scaletta Aug. 1943, landing at Salerno Sept. 1943 - slightly wounded but remained on duty, operated in Yugoslavia Jan. 1944 to July 1944. Returned to Italy in early July 1944. Participated in operations in Albania late July to Oct. 1944. After this point I cannot offer any further information as I was assigned to other duties. Possibly Victor saw further action at Lake Comacchio and the Argenta Gap in Northern Italy in 1945, but I cannot say for sure.

I do realize that this information is scant, to say the least, but it is to the best of my recollection. If you have any photos of your Dad that you could post I would be most interested in seeing them.

Sincerely,

Bob Bishop

By this notification I am asking that the Administrator of the CVA add the name of Pratt, V to the list of names in the 2 Commando History 'They also Served' section.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/08/2009 10:08:56

ym
Forum Member

Bob
Many thanks for your info on my late Dad, Victor Pratt. You are right with much of the information as I recall my dad telling me. Some of his friends took a tour to Vis (I think it may be Yugoslavia) and some of their old haunts in 1983 and sent some photos from then also.
Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner but will find a way to post some photos as there are some from Ayr and foreign fields taken during the war.
I have a particularly clear photo of No 2 Commando taken in 1945 (scroll type) with Panora Ltd London on it in which every face is clear; my dad has 2 stripes which I think makes him a cpl.
Thanks again for your information, it has been great for me and my children to read about and appreciate the efforts and sacrifice of all who served.
Best regards
Yvonne
ym
Forum Member

Bob
Have now taken delivery of scanner. Managed to scan pic of dad which hopefully should be attached. I don't know how to scan the big scroll pic as it is too big for the scanner. Will try some others later as have visitors coming today!
Best wishes
Yvonne
[Thumb - dad0001.JPG]
 Filename dad0001.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 207 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  514 time(s)

unknowncommandos
Forum Member

He also appears to be a qualified parachutist :shock: That looks to be a very early war manufactured wing!

Its a damn shame I cannot read the unit title above that badge. It looks as though its been stitched over.

I wonder if he did Operation Colosus or Crete with the airborne?

Might I suggest that you do not try and put the panoramic photo under your scanner but instead use close up shots from a digital camera and fit the edges together using a paint package.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 30/11/2007 19:28:45

Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Yvonne -

Thanks so much for your photograph of your Dad which I think was taken in either 1945 or 1946. It is a great addition to our album of 2 Commando Family members. Was I correct in thinking back overy sixty years that Victor was with me in the 70th Bn. Royal Norfolks prior to our Commando service?

Also, I think Victor was present at my parachute training class at P.T.S. No. 4 in Bari, Italy, during August 1944, when we endeavoured to get as many Commandos parachute-trained as possible at very short notice. I have an idea that Victor was in 3 Troop for a while, serving with L/Sgt. Leslie Woods who was also a 'crony' from the Norfolks. Sadly, Leslie was lost a couple of weeks from the end of the war at Lake Comacchio.

All your memories of your Dad are so welcome, Yvonne, so please stay in touch with one of his old comrades.

Kindest regards,
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have found details to Private Victor Pratt in my Dads notebook he kept when in 2 Commando. I know this is a late reply but i hope it is of some use. He was a member of 5 troop - A section - No 2 Commando. His number was 5781708 and is shown as a Bren Gunner. He is shown as being 20 years old. His section officer was a Lieutenant Whitfield. I have further details as to where he was billeted and civil occupation and next of kin address . Should you require it I can forward these to you in a private message.
Regards
Pete Rogers

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger