commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Czechoslovak Commandos  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Martin S.
Forum Member

Hello to all!

My name is Martin Sedivy and I'm working on a website about Czechoslovak Commandos and on the establishment of a No.3 (X) Troop of No.10 (IA) Commando Re-enactment Group, where the contingent of Czechs was included.
I'd like to hear from anyone with information of possible interest about the Czechoslovak contingent of No 10 (IA) Commando or any other Czechoslovak Commandos (They were also the part of No.62 Commando - Pvt.Lehniger/op.Aquatint and is said, that some Czechs were included in No.7(Yugoslavian) Troop of No.10 (IA) Commando too).
I'll be very grateful for any rememberance.
Sources of information in books and archives and information about the mysterious original badge CZECHOSLOVAKIA (above) would also be most welcome.
Thank you.

Bc. Martin Sedivy

p.s. Excuse please my poor English.
[Thumb - czechComm.jpg]
 Filename czechComm.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 10 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  443 time(s)

geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Hi Martin, I have always been intrigued by No 10(IA) Cdo, more than any other due to it's diversity and how very awkward it must have been to command and control. The only info I am aware of regarding Czech tps are the eight that were part of the lead element of 3(X) Tp, later 3 (Misc) Tp. They were headed up by Capt Hilton-Jones RA (OC 3 Tp) who later became 2IC and then CO of 10(IA) Cdo. They joined No 10 on 24 July '42 after training in Wales.
A couple of books you may already have -

Osprey Series No 142 - No 10 (Inter-Allied) Commando 1942-45 by Nick van der Bijl BEM

Ten Commando 1942-1945 by Ian Dear (see page 7)

Good luck.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 22/11/2007 10:11:56

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Martin S.
Forum Member

Thank you Geoff!

I appreciate your answer.
I am sorry to say I already know both sources, you introduced above.
As you wrote, the book bringing the basic information about the 8 Czechs in X-Troop, is Ian Dears excellent seminal work "Ten Commando". All later studies (Including Osprays etc..) are inspired by this perfect book. However, there are no more informations about the CZECHOSLOVAKIA badge and so on.

It is a great loss, that most of the archive materials about Czechs in Cdo units was (as I.Dear wrote) destroyed in 1946.

But I am still searching and looking for living witnesses because hope dies last.

M.

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Martin,

Sorry to resurrect this old post but, like Geoff, I'm fascinated by No10(IA) Commando and wondered if you have got any further with your research?

nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Gordon Hughes
Forum Member
[Avatar]

[quote=Martin S.]Thank you Geoff!

I appreciate your answer.
I am sorry to say I already know both sources, you introduced above.
As you wrote, the book bringing the basic information about the 8 Czechs in X-Troop, is Ian Dears excellent seminal work "Ten Commando". All later studies (Including Osprays etc..) are inspired by this perfect book. However, there are no more informations about the CZECHOSLOVAKIA badge and so on.

It is a great loss, that most of the archive materials about Czechs in Cdo units was (as I.Dear wrote) destroyed in 1946.

But I am still searching and looking for living witnesses because hope dies last.

M. I am a little late catching up with this subject however if you type Robert Matula's name onto the internet you will find a true war hero who was from 1939 thro to 1945 a member of the Czech forces who later joined Czech division of French Foriegn Legion,and after escape to England Sgt Rbt Matula joined Czech Army then volunteered to SOE was parachuted into Moravia,near village of Ostrava,he lost amember of party[killed the radio operater was captured and did not survive,however Rbt went on to control Resistance fighters and is the hero of Ostrava,He has received several delegations from Czech Republic,many decorations including Kings commendation for bravery,Czech Presidents Gold Cross etc,I count myself a good friend and have organized and represented as Legion M.C. all of Rbts tributes and presentations.[Promoted to Brig General on last Czech visit]
Unfortunatly Rbt is now in a Care Home in Victoria,Vancouver Island >B.C. Canada,a very frail and very sick man,his mind however is sharp and memory fantastic. My e-mail is [email protected],I am also a member of this organization[/quote]Gordon Hughes
[Email]
JB
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Gordon, I am also having a keen intersest in the history of No 10 I-A commando and I am also collecting ww2 army commando badges. Funilly enough I acquired recently 2 Black/red Czecholvakia shoulder titles which appear the same as posted by Martin. I also found that there is little information about the Czechs inNo 10 cdo. As a Dutch national I also have a particular interest in no 2Dutch troop, there is a fair amount of info on them. Best regards, JB

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/11/2011 17:28:31

mike beckett
Forum Member

The Czechoslovakian and Yugoslavian (Jugoslavian) elements of No10 Commando (in their various troops) are surely two of the great enigmas in Commando research. Very little is known about both, and more research is to be encouraged. While 'X' Troop members have rightly captured the imagination, No7 Yugoslavian (Jugoslavian) troop remains even more of a mystery in my experience. More about both elements needs to be found and recorded.

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger