commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Sgt Walter Lawrence Sandfield, No6 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have received an email from Pamela Cobb (nee Sandfield) regarding her father Walter Lawrence Sandfield
Pamela wrote:Dear Sir,

I have been going through the CVA site and I am amazed, grateful to the friends, relatives etc who have contributed so many photos, information.

My father, Walter Lawrence Sandfield was born in London and was a commando in WW2. His parent regiment was the Royal Welch Fusiliers.
Our family emigrated to New Zealand in 1952 and my dad joined the Royal New Zealand Air Force at Wigram.
He died in 1984. He never talked about the war, his missions or the medals he received. His medals disappeared while he was at Wigram and my mother never knew what happened to them or remembers what the medals were for.
If you can find out any information, point me in the right direction so that I can find photographs, the missions he went on, what commando unit he was in (I think it might be No. 6 commando, but I'm not sure) and the medals he received, I would appreciate it so much!

I believe my father was part of raids on the French coast. He did talk about running along this cliff as the Germans were chasing him and having to dive off it as there was no time to get down to the beach below where I assume they would retrieve their boat and row back to the ship.

My mum saw my Dad in a newsreel covering his face with cocoa when she was at a cinema in London during the war.

Thank you so much for your time,

Pamela Jeanette Cobb

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/06/2011 19:15:30

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pamela

Welcome to the CVA, although I do not have any specific info regarding your father, I can perhaps suggest an avenue of research that I and others on this site have persued, that is to apply for a copy of your father's Army records, as a relative you are entitled to do this, the process is quite straight forward and only costs £30. I have attached a copy of one of my father's documents that I was sent when I applied for his records, this is Army Form B200b, as you can see it clearly states all of the units that he served with. Not every one has received this document and some of the info that you can receive can be less clear, having said that it is still well worth applying. I have attached a link that will take you to the section of the CVA forum that contains the relevant addresses and contact details to carry out your own application.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/179.page

I was intersted to read that your father's parent regiment was thye RWF, this was also my father's regiment. Many men form the RWF and the South Wales Borderers went in to No1 Commando, so much so that it was often known as the Welsh Commando. No1 and No6 Commando also served together in North Africa where they were seconded to the American Army to take part in Operation Torch. They both also took part in an abortive raid code named Myrimidon, which would have been along the River Ardour in S. France.

Good Luck with your research, Cheers Andy

Ps I have just had to amend this message as the section originally containg the info regarding applying for Service Records seems to have disapeared when I uploaded it a few days ago, so second time lucky!!
[Thumb - Z400-Top left of form B220B.jpg]
 Filename Z400-Top left of form B220B.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 252 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  389 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 14/06/2011 19:18:12

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
pamela
Forum Member

Hi Andy,
I have not been on this site for a few days so I'm sorry for the delay.
Thank you for your information!
I read the service record you sent me and it is quite remarkable! It must have deepened what you already felt to see it all there in black and white.
I'm sure it is something you look at with great pride and will treasure always.
How interesting that your Dad was in the RWF also!
My dad was first sent to Africa (the Gold Coast, now Ghana) I believe around 1941. I'm not sure if it was for surveillance, or for an actual mission. He came down with malaria while he was there. He did not stay on to join the fighting in East Africa, but returned to England.
I am in the process of filling out the forms to the MOD.
I was delighted to find my dad in the 4th picture listed of No. 6 commando, courtesy of Mrs. Doreen Hopwood.
If you get a chance to look, he is the sergeant in the front row, 2nd in from the right.
Thank you so much for your help.
I will let you know how I get on. I am also going to send in some pictures of my dad taken during the war years, in uniform.
Best wishes,
Pam

Proud daughter of Sgt Larry Sandfield, No.6 Commando.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pamela,

The photo you refer to has now been updated with the information you provided.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/6/No+6+Cdo+copy.jpg.html

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
pamela
Forum Member

Thank you for everything.
I gave a donation to the CVA.
Best wishes,
Pam Cobb/Sandfield

P.S. When I receive the Service Records, I'll let you know.

pamela
Forum Member

Hi there,
I searched the site. How do I give a donation?
I live in the States so can I use my Credit card or do I have to get a bankers draft in English pounds and post it to you?
Thanks,
Pam Cobb

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pamela,

Thank you for your very kind offer to make a donation to The CVA.

I'm sure I can speak on behalf of the CVA when I say that The CVA thoroughly appreciate your kind and magnanimous gesture.

Thank you.

PM sent

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger