commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No 2 Commando photos  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Hi Geoff,

I have found another couple of photographs for the CVA website. I wonder could you put them on for me?

One is the first reunion of 2 Commando in 1946 as you will see Col. Newman is in the centre also I know that Doug Fletcher is in the picture but I am not sure where. My brother Roy is not featured as at this time he was in Palestine with 3rd Airbourne. Perhaps you may get some feedback if some members identify some of the people in the picture. The other picture is Doug Fletcher and Roy Ruston 2 Commando in Italy at the beginning of the campaign.

I hope all is well with you and I will continue to let you know any info I come across concerning Commandos.

Thanks again,

Kind regards,

Jim Ruston

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/2+Cdo+vets/2+Commando+Reunion+1946+courtesy+of+Jim+Ruston.jpg.html

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/Doug+Fletcher+_amp_+Roy+Ruston+No+2+Cdo+courtesy+of+Jim+Ruston.jpg.html

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/06/2011 15:06:13

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
JOHN W
Forum Member

Hi Geoff and Jim.
Got a few of the names for the record.
Top row 1st on left (light above his head) as you look at photo Len Justice.
Sitting next to Col Newmans right is my father Jack White.
dont know who is sitting next to my Dad but the chap to his right is Reg Downes.
And the chap with the pint glass in the row below Col Newman next to the guy wearing the black bow tie is Bill Willet.
And the laying on the floor is Charlie Goff.
I have met a couple of the others but cant remember the names.
Great photo Jim. Thanks.
John White.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/06/2011 21:16:11

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Great photo..have added the names supplied by John and sent a copy to Eric Buckmaster to see if he can help out with anymore. I think I spot Harry Lumm and Cyril Lima in there but I'll wait until Eric responds

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/2+Cdo+vets/2+Commando+Reunion+1946+courtesy+of+Jim+Ruston.jpg.html

Pete R.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Great shot, am intrigued to know where this was taken, almost resembles a London Underground platform?
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Another excellent quality photo of a No.2 Commando reunion has just been received from Simon Craddock whose great uncle was Paddy Donovan of 2 troop.
This photo includes Earl Mountbatten of Burma, Charles Newman and Jack Churchill.

If you know any names please post them here or send me a pm:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/2+Cdo+vets/No2Cdo+Reunion+copy.jpg.html

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/06/2011 15:04:35

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I do enjoy seeing these reunion photos.
To look at some of the faces, you'd never dream that they were 'tough as old boots' commandos.

Brilliant photos.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I know some of you have been at Alrewas over the weekend and by the look of Nick's photos it was another great event. During that period I have added several photos of Commandos from No.2 Cdo. most pre St Nazaire and from 5 troop found in my cousin's family albums. These will no longer show in the Latest Updates section of the gallery. I still have more to post but should you wish to view them here is a link to the No.2 Commando main album and also the specific 5 troop album. I have also been able to add several names to unidentified Commandos in the pictures we already had. The new or updated photos will have that shown under the thumbnail of each picture:

The main No.2 album:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/

5 troop album:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/5+troop/

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 27/06/2011 14:15:40

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Amongst the photos I have been posting was this one of 5 troop in Bitetto 1944. I sent it off to Eric Buckmaster who was in 5 troop ( I did give him a day to get over his 90th birthday celebrations ! ) and as a result many of the names are now placed on there. Once again my thanks to Eric who also added a few memories :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/5+troop/5+trp+bitetto+1944+copy.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Pte Boyd was known as Micky. For some reason that I can?t now remember we were in Glasgow, and he introduced me to his Family, including his Grandma. She was actually in Bed, but they made us welcome and made quite a fuss of us.

Dave King was quite Tall, at least 6? 4?. He had a rather serious and Gentlemanly manner. Sadly he was killed in action. He and Paddy Cleary in the Picture came from the same Artillery Unit. Paddy Cleary did not have a strong accent, but seemed like Dave King slightly up market. But he was only about half his height. They were close friends but the difference between them was that whilst Dave king was of a Sober disposition. Paddy Cleary was Happy go Lucky, possibly Mischievous, and especially when he had had a few, usually got them into some sort of Scrape. Dave King was often threatening to have nothing more to do with him, but it did not last long. One good example was that on an occasion when they were at the Bari Rest Camp, they went to the Opera House to see the Current Quite serious presentation. Half way through Paddy Cleary decided that they were not doing it properly. Or that he wanted to join in. You can imagine the amusement of some of the No 2 Lads when he turned up on Stage and started Directing, a little bit Pickled.

There were 2 Welshmen in 5 Troop, one was Taffy Davies (who used to sing Mr Booze). A small man, the other I understood to be Ray Davis physically well set up as in the Photo. He was the one KIA.

By the time of St Nazaire, Ken Mac had become a Sergeant, and afterwards moved into the role of 5 Troop Sergeant Major. He was always the very firm Father Figure of the Troop.

[Thumb - 5 trp bitetto 1944 copy.jpg]
 Filename 5 trp bitetto 1944 copy.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description No.2 Cdo 5 troop 1944 Bitetto
 Filesize 564 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  516 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 03/07/2011 13:19:58

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger