commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Joseph Alec Wells, 101 Troop, No6 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

My father Joseph Alec Wells was in no6 No 1 troop and may have been in 101 he went on the Vaagso raid but apart from that I do not know anything of his Commando career. He left the Commando when commissioned which was probably in 1942 as he served in Italy as an Officer.

If you have any information I would appreciate it he had previously been in the Royal Engineers. My Aunt recently told me she thought he took part in another raid on the Channel Isles. Amongst his campaign medals is an Atlantic Star which is strange as I believe this was for Naval service.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank You

Regards

Simon Wells

Posted by Colin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 13/02/2009 21:14:07

"Excreta Tauri Astutos Frustantor"
[WWW]
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Simon,

Sapper Joseph "Joe" Wells, formerly of the Royal Engineers, served in No.1 (later becoming No.101) Troop of No.6 Commando from 1940 (Scarborough) until, at least 8th May 1941.
Promoted to Lance-Corporal and is known to have been one of the contingent of No.1 Troop of No.6 Commando that had been sent on the OPERATION CLAYMORE raid on the Lofoten Island (Norway) on 1st/ 4th March 1941.
He was later promoted to Corporal

The Atlantic Star is a bit of a mystery though. Is your Dad still with us?

Colin

[WWW]
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Colin

Dad is mentioned on the No 6 website . Unfortunately Dad passed away in 2004. I have requested his service record. I asked lots of questions but received few answers. He was commissioned from No6 and ended his career as a Captain in 1949 with the Beds and Herts. Dad served in something called Section Q in Germany on detached service, this aspect of his career was never spoken off and I can find nothing out about it. Joe who was also known as Alec beat up a lad with a knife who tried to mug him when he was 70. He joined the Royal Engineers in the 30s and went to France with them after Dunkirk he came home after that at sometime joined the commandos.
Whilst not particularly proud of what he did in the war he was definitely proud of being a commando.

Any information/help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Simon

Posted by Colin

[WWW]
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Simon,

I can find reference to No: 3 Commando in the missions you mentioned as follows

"No.3 was the first Commando unit ever to see action with the raid on Guernsey, Operation ?Ambassador?14/15 July 1940 with 11 Independent Company.
Operation ?Claymore ?was next in the Lofoton Islands in March 1941.
Other 3 Commando Operations were:
Vaagso ?Archery? 27th December1941"

Once you get your Dads service record, some questions may be answered.

Regards,

Colin

[WWW]
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Anyone know what Section Q in Germany was :?:

Thats a new one :wink:

Colin

[WWW]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger