commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Private Ernest Arthur lawes 14727995  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Terrylawes
Forum Member

I am writing to ask if anyone has any recollection of my father (above) who served with No 9 Commando from December 1944 until November 1945? I am trying to piece together his movements through Italy. I know he took part in Operation 'Roast' and subsequent actions in Italy. I would really appreciate any information that anyone may have.

Kind rgeards,

Terry Lawes
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Terry

Whilst I have no personal information about your father our site does have some good information about No.9 Commando which may be of interest to you. At the foot of the 9 Cdo history section there is a PDF file which covers up to May 1945:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/site/mambots/editors/fckeditor/editor/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=52&Itemid=

Also the late Ronald 'Ken' Young of No.9 Cdo. was able to give us some detail about his time with No.9 and it is worth reading:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1093.page

If you have any photos of your father or any of his Commando comrades that you would like included in our gallery please contact me direct on my email address below and I will assist you in this.

Regards

Pete Rogers

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Terrylawes
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

Thank you for the links. I am currently trying to track down a photograph of him in uniform which I know exists. When I locate it I will be in touch. Just as an addition I have the following information in relation to dates. My father was transferred from the Royal Sussex Regiment and commenced commando training in July 1944. He joined No 9 Commando in Naples on December 26th 1944 and remained with No 9 Commando until the unit was disbanded.

Kind regards,

Terry

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/06/2011 21:44:46

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger