commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Information on Sidney Lawrence Edwards - 45 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
dale wright
Forum Member

I am researching my grandfathers role in the RM commandos. He was 36/37 when he joined and talked of pegasus bridge, Caen and walking through marsh-like land when he landed in Normandy. He also wrote of landing in Belguim in 1945, enroute to Berlin.
His service number starts with CH\X. If anyboby can help i would appreciate it. I am in the process of submitting his service number to see if he was part of 45.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 26/05/2011 17:39:22

dale wright
Forum Member

Picture of my grandad - far left, top row
[Thumb - img008 grandad.jpg]
 Filename img008 grandad.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 234 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  444 time(s)

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dale,
dale wright wrote:
His service number starts with CH\X. If anyboby can help i would appreciate it.

The 'CH/' prefix in his service number denote he was in Chatham Division
The 'X' in his service number denotes that he saw short service with the Marines during the Second World War.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
dale wright
Forum Member

My Grandfathers service number was CH/X 104698. He wrote many letters both from England and in France. In England, many of them were addressed, 'HQ 1st Special Service' in Petworth Sussex. From my research, I am pretty sure that the only RM Commando unit attached to this was 45.

Also you have photograph on the 45 commando page of commandos looking at a dagger of some sort. The commando to the far right, as we look at it, looks like my grandfather. My uncle( his son) also told me that he found an SS dagger in his loft as a boy. When he told his dad( my grandfather), he never saw it again.
dale.

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger