commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Sidney Edwards - 45 Royal Marine Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
dale wright
Forum Member

I have been researching my grandfathers role in the commandos. I believe he was attached to 45 Commando. His name is Sidney Edwards and he was a corporal. He was 36/37 when he joined the commandos. If anyone served with him, i would love to hear from them. Dale.
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Dale

May I wish you a very warm welcome to the CVA, although I do not have any specific info regarding your Grandfather, I can suggest an avenue of research that may well be worth persuing ie applying for a copy of his service records. As a relative you are able to do this, indeed I and quite a few others on this site have already done this and received copies of some very interesting original service records. Although some of these documents can be a bit confusing in terms of the abreviations and codes used when they were filled out, there are people on this site who can help to dicypher them.
Do you have any photos of your grandfather from his time 45 RM Cmd, if so attaching one of these with your message would be of great benefit in helping to jog memories. They would also be a great addition to the CVA gallery for 45 Commando, if you do have any photos then I or others on this site would be only too happy to help you upload them.
The following link will take you to the section of the CVA Forum that contains the MOD site that deals with requests for service records applications. I think that this is the correct MOD site for those who served with the Royal Marines, perhaps Nic or Pete could correct me if I am wrong?

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/179.page

Good luck Andy

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 19/05/2011 11:35:03

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
dale wright
Forum Member

Thank you for your welcome- Andy.
My brother and I toured the Normandy landing sites 7 weeks ago and also visited Pegasus Bridge and the Bayeaux Cemetery. Since then I have worked out that he was in 45 - i think! I do have a service number for him and have read letters he wrote from France and Eastborne/Seaford. I do have a photograph but i am not sure if it is of his marines service or when he joined the marine commandos. I will post it up soon.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 24/05/2011 12:01:52

dale wright
Forum Member

Any
Do I post the photo here or can i post it in the gallery?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 24/05/2011 12:00:53

dale wright
Forum Member

A picture of 45 command - i think. My grandad is top left, back row
[Thumb - img008 grandad.jpg]
 Filename img008 grandad.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 45 Commando - i think
 Filesize 234 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  396 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Dale

You mention that "you think" your grandfather was in 45 RM Commando. I hope you understand that we like everything to be as historically accurate as possible on our site, most especially in our Galleries, and so I would ask you to confirm to us what information you have either from his official RN service record, or from his personal memorabilia, or elsewhere, that leads you to this conclusion. The picture may indeed be of RM Commandos but is very grainy when enlarged. Would it be possible to try and scan it at a higher resolution. Please feel free to either respond here or by pm or on my email address below.

Regards

Pete Rogers

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 26/05/2011 10:51:57

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
dale wright
Forum Member

Hello
I am still pursuing my research at the moment. Feel free to take the picture down. The original has been scanned into my computer and is clear - not sure what has happened when i uploaded it onto the site.
dale.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/05/2011 12:51:50

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have had a quick look at the photo and can confirm that the Sgt & WOs in the front row are all Royal Marines.
Therefore it would reasonably safe to assume that all other personnel on the photo are also Royal Marines. Although, judging by the apparent lack of any JNCOs I would guess that these guys are all recruits undergoing basic training...
Also, the photo may have been taken before any of the Royal Marine battalions became 'Royal Marine Commandos'.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/05/2011 13:11:22

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Dale has sent a copy of the photo to me and I have responded to him. I have uploaded it here to see if it is any clearer than his original
[Thumb - RM.jpg]
 Filename RM.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 924 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  426 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete,
Pete wrote:Dale has sent a copy of the photo to me and I have responded to him. I have uploaded it here to see if it is any clearer than his original

To be honest, I had no problem with the original - the later upload seems to be a little better than the first!

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/05/2011 20:55:16

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Dale, have you got his service number?
Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi. Nick
I also agree with yout that the photo may have been taken before any of the Royal Marine battalions became 'Royal Marine Commandos' as the Sgt & WOs all have different cap badges?

Danny L
Forum Member

Hi,
Cap badges were different according to rank.

Marine to Corporal : One piece brass
Sgt / Colour Sgt : One piece gilt
QMS : Two piece gilt
Officer : Two piece gilt with silver globe or two piece bronze badge.

Also produced in the war was a one piece black ?plastic? cap badge.

And as Nick has said probably a photo taken when undertaking/finishing recruit training.

Regards

Danny
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

These 3 photos of Royal Marines, all taken circa 1941, hopefully illustrate Danny's point regarding badges - the first and second photos of RSM (WO1) & QMS (WO2) respectively, clearly show the two piece badges whereas the Colour Sgt in the third photo has a one piece badge.

It also shows that the reflection of the light falling on the badges and the angle/atitude of the subject's head toward the camera all affect the perception of the viewer - hence Kevin thinking that the 3 badges in Dale's photo all being different.

Nick
[Thumb - RSM%201941.jpg]
 Filename RSM%201941.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 900 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  403 time(s)

[Thumb - SM%201941.jpg]
 Filename SM%201941.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 984 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  354 time(s)

[Thumb - CS%20MTI%201940.jpg]
 Filename CS%20MTI%201940.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 724 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  380 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 29/05/2011 07:13:18

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Danny, Nick wrongly I thought that they wore unit cap badge as my father in group photo of my father.
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/1+cdo+grp/Copy+of+Stage+10-numbered+copy.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Many Thanks
Kevin

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger