commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Memorial Garden, Spean Bridge  XML
Forum Index » Association Events
Di Robinson
Forum Member

Can anyone tell me whether I need permission to add a cross (or maybe a plaque) to the Memorial Garden in remembrance of my Dad, Bernard Edwards (No 2 Cdo) please? I was up there last month and saw the garden for the first time - very moving. I'm going back for the Remembrance weekend and would like to take the cross/plaque with me.

Thank you

Di Robinson
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Di

Shortly after the main service at the memorial the Padre usually goes over to the memorial garden and dedicates ashes and a rememberence service to the comrades that have passed away the previous year ..At this time plaques are placed.

Just to be sure I would contact the General Secretary Geoff Murray either via the contact page of this site or by telephone.

I am sure there will be no problem.

It is a very moving and dignified place............in general I think the memorial and the area is a National Treasure.

Have a great visit
Regards
John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Di

There has never been any restriction in putting in plaques. I have one in for my father who was killed in action in Flushing with No4 Commando.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Update:

The work on expanding the Garden is at last underway. It is hoped that we can have it finished by mid-October with a few weeks to bed in prior to our visit in November.

The area for memorials has been tripled and a seperate area for scattering of ashes added. There will also be signage added to explain what can and cannot be left (in order to keep it tidy and respectful). I have been robust with the wording in that only memorials of suitable and weatherproof quality and of a size not in excess of 4"x6" - no wrist bands etc to be left.

I am also ordering a bench, similar to those at Alrewas, to be placed adjacent to the Garden.

Photos here: http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/Spean+Bridge+2009/

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 25/09/2011 17:43:57

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

All sounds really great Geoff.......

The place is so special it needs a kind watchful eye.....

Thanks

Regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Dusty's son
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Everyone

We are also planning to spread some ashes and possibly leave a plaque as well in case prior notification is needed before doing so.

Thanks
Lindsay

Forum Index » Association Events
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger