commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Rolls of Honour & They also served Rolls Progress  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Everyone

Bob & Janet Bishop have done a great job for us and the 'Rolls Of Honour' are about to be uploaded to each units history page ( Within the next week)

'They also served' rolls are taking shape but are a slightly more complex affair. We have No 2 OK No 1 shaping up nicely and No 12 also building well.

These however will never really be totally complete and hopefully we will add to them over time with any omissions being pointed out by various parties.

We view this as a long haul project but I think it is a job well worth pursuing.

When the 'Rolls' are up if you see an omission please email myself or admin to get it corrected.

Best regards

John M

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 02/01/2010 16:58:18

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

blewis
Forum Member

Just roving thru the forum and noted you.
I have noticed that my late fathers name has been omitted from the Roll of No.2 Commando. He was Private Enoch Sheard, Army No. 3655822 who enlisted with the South Lancashire Regiment and then volunteered as a Commando serving until his discharge on 11th November 1945. Service record as follows:- B.E.F.4.5.40 - 10.6.40. Gibraltar 13.4.43 - 21.7.43 BNAF22.7.43 - 1.12.43 MEF 2.12.43 - 21.5.45.
Are you able to get his name added
Barbara Lewis
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Barbara

yes we are updating the Rolls very shortly and Enoch Sheard will be duly added.

Best regards

John M

Primus Inter Pares

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Talking of which, can Pte Peach be added to No5 RoH now - pretty please :wink: :wink:

Thanks (in anticipation),

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Nic

No probs ......well done on your result.

Regards
John M

Primus Inter Pares

Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear John:

It would be much appreciated if you would add the name Pte. R. MAKEHAM to the 2 Cdo ROLL OF HONOUR.

Also, the names as listed below need to be added to THEY ALSO SERVED section of 2 Cdo History.

AINSLIE, W.
ARNISON, S.
BAKER, R.
BALDOCK, R.
BANKS, H.
BARLOW, J.
BARNETT, L.
BERRY, R.
BOWERS, G.
BOWERS, G.
BOYER, D.
CHADWICK, E.
CHURCH, J.
COOK, K.
CROWE, E.
CUNNINGHAM, W.
DOWNES, R.
DREVER, W.
ELDER, J.
FERGUSON, J.
FINNIGAN, W.
FRANCIS, C.
GRAVES, E.
HARVEY, J.
HAYLE, A.
HEESOM, H.
HIELDS, A.
JEYES, F.
JUSTICE, L.
KILPATRICK, A.
KIRTON, E.
LOWSON, R.
LUMM, H.
MANN, G.
MILES, S.
MILLER, O.
PALLETT, A.
POWELL, L.
PRATT, V.
ROBERTS, T.
RUDLAND, J.
SCHOFIELD, G.
SEARLE, F.
SHANKLAND, G.
SHEARD, E.
SHEEHAN, C.
SLATER, J.
SPEARMAN, R.
STAFFORD, F.
STOTT, C.
STRAKER, R.
SUTHERS, J.
VINGOE, S.
WATSON, R.
WILLET, B.

Sorry for the work this will cause, but, John, as you well know, ?Everyone Deserves to be Remembered?.

Best regards to you and all the family.

Janet & Bob
dan
Forum Member

This has now been added. Sorry for the delay.

Dan
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thank you again Dan for all your hard work on this matter.

Janet & Bob
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Dan & John M.

The following are additional names provided by John W. to be added to the 'They Also Served' list of No. 2 Commando:

GRANT, J.
PAYNE, R.
BROWN, D.
HAIG, R.
SHARP, P.
NIBLO, J.
GALLINGTON, T.
ARNOLD, F.
WOOD, G.
BELLS, J.
SIMMONSON, N.
SMITH, P.

also - an initial to be added for TURPIN, A.

Thanks so much
JOHN W
Forum Member

Hi Dan and JOHN.
Firstly thanks Bob for forwarding the names of # 2. but Bells J, should read Bellis J. That was probably my error, sorry, and thanks to all. John
------
[Email]
Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Bob & Janet,

I would just like to voice, what a stirling job you are doing with the Roll of Honour. I have been scouring the cemeteries in the Plymouth, South Devon area to see if I can find anything to add. I hope this will not add to your workload if anything turns up. Although I have not found any commando 'resting places', the exercise certainly has opened my eyes to the men and women who seem to be 'forgotten'. Keep up the brilliant work.

Harryj

Commandos never die, they go elsewhere and 're-group'!
Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Bob & Janet,

just to add to my last message, if there is any way you wish to direct me in this pursuit, I will only be too pleased to comply.

Harryj

Commandos never die, they go elsewhere and 're-group'!
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Recent posts have been made concerning this subject matter by Nick, Harry and Bill which are timely, and I think now require some review as to where we are up to collectively.

Insofar as the Rolls of Honour have been published, it is thought that they are substantially complete, with the exception of the M.E. Commando units which will be subject to ongoing additions for some time to come.

The ?Also Served? listings however are no where like being organized as they should be in order for relatives or other friends of the veteran Commandos to confirm the service of a soldier in the company of his comrades. A brief summary of each Commando unit listings follows:

No. 1 Commando ? John M. has collected many names of No. 1 veterans which could perhaps be published so that others can ascertain if additional names they know of need to be added. From experience, it would seem that each Commando should have at least 500 to 550 names in the ?Also Served? category.

No. 2 Commando ? We now have about 550 names recorded for No. 2, thanks to recent information supplied by Geoff and John W. From a ?records? standpoint, this is just about satisfactory.

No. 3 Commando ? This one really bothers me. No. 3 had the heaviest casualties of any Commando, and in consequence, also had the highest ratio of replacements, so we have possibly up to 700 names which someone has to cough-up. Geoff will have some info from the old Commando Association to contribute in the way of names, but what we will need is someone to take that basis and continue to do the ?digging? from there. Is there a ?likely-lad? type volunteer for this important recording?

No. 4 Commando ? Bill Harvey has written that he has a list of men who were at Dieppe. If Bill deletes ?allied? personnel from that list he should have over 200 of the No. 4 boys to give a good start to an ?Also Served? listing. I am told that No. 4 also has excellent troop rolls recorded in army archives which are available for scrutiny in London. However, in order for a proper record of No. 4 to be established on the C.V.A. site we will need someone to put things together.

No. 5 Commando ? We have many Associate Members who are proud relatives of the Commandos who served in this unit. At an estimate it seems that we need about 500 names to be recorded. Anyone unemployed?

No. 6 Commando ? This Commando unit has a web-site which can contribute a huge number of former No. 6 men?s names who qualify for an ?Also Served? listing. Again the membership rolls of the old Commando Association can be culled for additional No. 6 identifications. A No. 6 ?fan? needed!

No. 9 Commando ? At this time I do not know of any veteran or a relative who has been involved in our C.V.A. site. There are some references in publications to No. 9 personnel, and of course somewhere there will be detailed information concerning T.o. Orgs. I do have a limited list of No. 9 boys which I will be glad to pass on to anyone willing to undertake the job of recording No. 9.

Other Commando Units ? For those units which were subject to early disbandment, the situation is so complex that I would prefer to wait until we have satisfied the documentary needs of the units I have listed.

Kindest regards to all
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bob Bishop wrote:Recent posts have been made concerning this subject matter by Nick, Harry and Bill which are timely, and I think now require some review as to where we are up to collectively.

Insofar as the Rolls of Honour have been published, it is thought that they are substantially complete, with the exception of the M.E. Commando units which will be subject to ongoing additions for some time to come.

The ?Also Served? listings however are no where like being organized as they should be in order for relatives or other friends of the veteran Commandos to confirm the service of a soldier in the company of his comrades. A brief summary of each Commando unit listings follows:

No. 5 Commando ? We have many Associate Members who are proud relatives of the Commandos who served in this unit. At an estimate it seems that we need about 500 names to be recorded. Anyone unemployed?

Kindest regards to all

I would be more than happy to help compile the No5 records.
Just wind me up, point me in the right direction and let me go...

Regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Dear Bob, all,
I am slowly working through what I have to build a Master database and currently have approx 3,300 names with many more to add from over 150 newsletters etc. It is a painstakingly slow business however will be worth every minute. I currently have: Cdos-Names = No 1-258, No 2-593 (I will need to x-ref this with what you have Bob, I may have double-tapped on some), No 3-444, No 4-332, No 5-206, No 6-308 (have not checked/added those from website as yet), No 7-32, No 8-19, No 9-215, No 10IA-228, No 11-70, No 12-37, No 1/5-49, 30AU-15, CBTC-62, CMWTC-19, HOC/HCO-90, ME Cdos-32 and a couple of hundred more listed as belonging to Bde HQs etc. These lists include the ROH names. I am willing to manage the Master database, which I think when we are at a certain stage should be added to the website as an excel doc for all to use/filter etc, with the Master being held by the CVA. Any additions that members/viewers may have could be sent to be added to the Master as and when. This would then be updated on the web every month with a listed register of new additions to negate having to sift through each updated Master for the new additions. What do you think? Any of you who have lists that you feel may be useful please email or send them for possible inclusion, with details of source etc.
Kind regards for now

Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger