commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Lt Col J.M. 'Jack' Saegert, R.E. 1st C.O., 9 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
asaegert
Forum Member

Hello,

I am the grandson of Lt. Col. John Maclean (Jack) Saegert, RE, DSO. I only recently learned of my grandfather's service with 9 Commando from a personal letter that I found in our family archive, to my grandfather, from (then) Governor General Harold Alexander, Earl of Tunis, relating news of 'your old commando', and making reference to (Ron) Tod and the exploits of 'No. 9' in Europe.

With this information, internet research led me to this site, where I was thrilled to find a reference to see my grandfather's name (albeit misspelled). I requested a correction, but alas, the correction too, is incorrect.

I am interested to learn more about his contribution to the origins of the Commandos. When I asked my grandmother, she recalled that he left Canada for England in April 1940, and had a history of forming up and leading new units in India and Burma in the 1930s.

I am also interested in learning more about his service after leaving 9 Commando: I know that he served with the 10th Indian Division in North Africa. I imagine that he was selected for the task because of his long service in India, and his familiarity with the people and language. From the records that I have, I know that he was serving as Chief Royal Engineer when he was captured some time around 29 - 30 June 1942, the 'last man out' after supervising the demolition of Mersa Matruh.

I'd love to hear any additional information from anyone who may served, or may have known someone who served with him. My father barely remembers him, and while my grandmother has fond, but faded memories of him, she knows little about his actual wartime service.

I'd also appreciate any information that the forum members can provide about books or resources that may help me to learn more about my grandfather, his contributions, and in particular the sort of leader / soldier / engineer he was.

Thank you for your attention,

Alex Saegert

[Thumb - Jack (small).JPG]
 Filename Jack (small).JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Lt. Col. J.M. 'Jack' Saegert, RE
 Filesize 120 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  340 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/05/2011 05:59:29

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Alex

This is just a quick reply to apologise for the incorrect spelling of your grandfather's surname in our No.9 Commando History section. I cannot alter this myself but matters are in hand to have this amended correctly. Also you have posted an excellent photo of your grandfather which I would like, with your permission, to copy and place in our No.9 Commando gallery. Is this ok with you?

Regards

Pete R.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
asaegert
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

Please do go ahead and add my grandfather's picture to the gallery, but I'd like to retain the copyright to it. And thanks for looking after that spelling correction.

Alex
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi Alex,
Welcome to the CVA and thanks for giving us permission to add the photo of your grandfather to our Gallery.

To reassure you [and everyone else who may have contributed photos to our care], Pete Rogers and I, on behalf of the CVA, are very conscious of copyright laws governing photos and have had many discussions about the subject and we are certainly extremely keen to stay within the Law and protect any material that has been entrusted to the CVA (albeit in electronic form).
So, as far as we are concerned, you are the owner of the photo.

In many cases it is very difficult to prove copyright and/or ownership of old photos
With photographs, the copyright usually remains with:
a), the photographer
b), the company/organisation the photographer worked for (ie an official photograph taken by a HM Forces photographer on behalf of MoD remains Crown Copyright)

Ownership is equally tricky as there may have been many prints made from one negative and distributed to all the subjects - imagine a group photo of a whole Commando Unit - each recipient may 'claim' ownership...

Therefore, to protect any material we receive, we have a statement posted in the Gallery warning that:
"© All pictures and photographs on this site are the copyright of either the individual or the Commando Veterans Association."

Furthermore, whenever we are appoached by organisations, such as the BBC or the Imperial War Museum etc., or by persons interested in using some of the material in books or publications, they are always referred back to the person who contributed the photo to the Gallery (you will notice that most of the photos state: 'Photo courtesy of...' and also include the name of the person who uploaded/posted the photo)

We are also keen to ensure that if the photo was found on the public domain that there is a 'licence to use the material' or that copyright has expired - we also try to ensure that this information is attached to the photo.

Regards,

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 10/05/2011 21:20:29

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
asaegert
Forum Member

Thanks Nick & Pete for your replies. The main issue for me was to not concede the right to determine how the image is used outside this site. In offering my permission for this site to use the photo, I had a pretty good sense that the image would be used and shared in a positive, sensitive and responsible manner - a trust of sorts.

Obviously, illegal use of anything on the internet is difficult, if not impossible to control, but I feel that at least I've asserted my rights to the image 'on the record', so that in the remote chance that the file is exploited, it's easier to specify that permission was not granted.

Thank you both for your support,

Alex Saegert
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Alex

I have now posted the photo with some of the information you placed in this forum message into our No.9 Commando gallery on page 1. Here is a link to that photo:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/9/Jack+_small_+copy.jpg.html

Should you wish, either now or in the future, to add or alter anything please let me know.

Finally you may wish to consider joining us in the CVA as an associate member. How to do so can be found on our homepage under 'Join the CVA'

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/05/2011 12:00:29

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger