commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Richard Branigan  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
1st Pattern Paul
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi
I would greatly appreciate any info that anyone could give me on Richard Branigan of No4 Commando. I am told that this is a pic of him having just returned from Abercrombie, any additional info would be great.
Thanks
Paul
[Thumb - Operation Abercrombie Return.jpg]
 Filename Operation Abercrombie Return.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 59 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  393 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Paul and welcome to the CVA.

One of the first questions I always ask is can you let us know what, if any, your connection is to Richard Branigan ( eg. relative, friend, researcher, memorabilia collector, etc). You say you are told that this is a picture of him so indeed that person who told you must have some knowledge of Richard Branigan . Whilst I have no personal knowledge of him I would like to know more about the reason behind your request.

Regards

Pete R.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/05/2011 00:43:17

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Paul

May I also wish you a very warm welcome to the CVA, with ref to the photo that you have uploaded with your message, having just examined it, I thought that it looked like one of the sequence of photos that was taken of No4 Commando on their return from the Dieppe raid. So I checked out the CVA gallery for No.4 Cmd and there indeed was the same photo that you have uploaded with your message (see attached link). Of course the photo may have been incorrectly labled in our Gallery, also have you checked out any of the other No4 photos that are in the CVA gallery to see if Richards face appears in any of these?

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/newhaven/No4Cdo_21-+22+Apr42.jpg.html

Good luck, Andy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/05/2011 01:00:34

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Andy

I can see what has happened here. There are in fact 2 photos which are correctly titled with the date of Operation Abercrombie, but have inadvertently been placed in the Dieppe folder. Additionally although one has the date of Abercrombie it states Dieppe. There is a similar but not identical photo in a copy of Jimmy Dunning's book "The Fighting Fourth" confirming Abercrombie. This has now been rectified and both photos are now in the main section of the No.4 Cdo gallery on the last page, and have been updated for clarity with the name of the Operation. The link you posted Andy will now no longer work. The new link to page 3 of the No.4 Cdo. album is here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/?g2_page=3

Pete R.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/05/2011 12:24:16

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
1st Pattern Paul
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete and Andy,

Many thanks for your welcome, I have been an observer of this site for some while due to my interest in F-S knives and there association to the Commandos. The reason I ask is that I have reciently bought Mr Branigans 1st Pattern FS. The person I bought it through is currently on holiday until mid May and he has promised on his return to find out more about Mr Branigan from his source. The "source" has reciently purchased Mr Branigans medals along with the 1st Pattern. Not being an FS collector he decided to sell on the FS and that's how I come to now own it. I will post some pics of it when I get my camera fixed. I also have this pic of Mr Branigan that was taken the day before Abercrombie on the ramparts of Dover Castle. He is the highlighted man. I was sent these pics along with the knife. I also found my info as to when the pics were taken in "The Fighting Fourth" and then found the dates to be Abercrombie.

Again any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
[Thumb - 1-Sec-C Trp-4 Commando-Apl 42.jpg]
 Filename 1-Sec-C Trp-4 Commando-Apl 42.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 81 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  428 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 01/05/2011 12:56:13

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply. The picture you have just posted above is again one we already have. This picture is in Jimmy Dunning's book The Fighting Fourth and in fact Jimmy is in the photo back row extreme right. Jimmy had previously granted the CVA permission to display the photo on our website:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/troop+photos/

(As a side note Jimmy's latest book is out now: 'When Shall Their Glory Fade' . Should anyone wish to review it please place a new message in the CVA Library Forum, rather than on here)

[Email]
1st Pattern Paul
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete

Yes I was aware that this pic is already in your extencive library. I only put it up to show the highlighted Mr Branigan. Very interesting that Jimmy Dunning is in the same picture. There is every chance that he knew him then. Is there anyway that I could contact Mr Dunning with regards to what he may know about Mr Branigan? Or if he wants his details kept sectret then could somebody pass my details on to him.

Please PM me if you need my details.

Many thanks

Paul

P.S. I'll order Mr Dunnings new book off Amazon now, thanks.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

PM sent to you. Once I get your details I will contact Jimmy

Pete

[Email]
1st Pattern Paul
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete wrote:PM sent to you. Once I get your details I will contact Jimmy

Pete

Thanks Pete, detail sent in PM

Paul
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Paul

I have replied by pm to you, but for the benefit of others Jimmy Dunning cannot recall a Richard Branigan, however he recalls the man highlighted in the Dover Castle photo as Ted Slack. He says he will send me a list of the names of all those in the photo. I am making further checks on Richard Branigan

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/05/2011 14:16:13

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Paul

I can now confirm that no person by the name of Richard Branigan joined the original Commando Association, which was first formed during the war and stood down in 2005. Albeit many Commandos joined the Association , the fact he is not shown in itself does not mean that this man was not in No.4 Commando.

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/05/2011 18:16:51

[Email]
1st Pattern Paul
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Pete

I am still waiting to here back from the vendor, will keep you posted as and when I know more. Thanks for all your help.

Paul

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger