commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Royal Marine Unit Identifier numbers  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Martyn H
Forum Member
[Avatar]

As a serving Royal Marine and avid believer in keeping old English motorcycles on the road I have laid my hands on 1940?s vintage war department (WD) bike. I?ve been researching the history of the bike but have draw a blank on certain aspects and thought this site and it's members may be able to help?

As I mentioned, over the last 6 months I?ve been restoring a 1943 James ML Motorcycle (clockwork mouse). This type of motorbike was originally procured for airborne units but was found to be too heavy. Of the 6000 ordered by the WD, many ended up with the Admiralty and subsequently the Royal Marines. The one I?m just finishing restoring was part of a contract for 900 delivered in 1943 with the majority of the order going to the Admiralty. I have anecdotal evidence that 300 James ML landed on D-Day and it was here that they were used to round up troops and send they in the right direction, for this they coined the nickname the mechanical sheepdog.

I?ve read Ken Fords ?D Day Commando? and there is several pictures of an ML being pushed by a Sgt from 48 Cdo RM. Although I doubt this bike ever landed on the beaches of Normandy with 48 Cdo, mainly because it still survives I?d still like to mark it up as such. I?ve read ?Commando Despatch Rider? by Raymond Mitchell and his account of being a despatch rider in 41 Cdo RM from D-Day to VE day. He talks of riding a James ML and also talks about the markings on it. He explains that all 41 vehicles were marked with the unit identifier ?93? front and rear and there is a picture of a bike in his book marked this way.

As 48 Cdo RM was only formed for several year I?m finding it hard to get any info on the unit and specifically the unit identifier. I?ve spoken to several 48 veterans but they can?t remember what the unit identifier was. I?ve hunted through various books and web sites but I?ve been unable to pin down a unit identifier to 48 Cdo . Can anyone shed any light on the number assigned to 48 Cdo RM during its existence?
Rover
Forum Member

Martyn,

May be worth a call,

http://www.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/newweb/downloads/RMHS/SHEET%20ANCHOR%20Contents.pdf

Scroll down to; Vol 3 No3 1972.

Rover
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Martyn

I have a scarce book:

48 Royal Marine Commando
The Story 1944-46
Forward By
Brigadier B W Liecester DSO.

The book was privately published for members of the unit in 1946c.

It is written by an officer of the unit although there is no author mentioned.

There are many numerical references which mean something to anyone serving but are difficult for a lay person to understand initially.

The first reference to an identifier for the unit I think is on page 9.

'In the collection and distribution of G1098 equipment and the organisation of the Commandothe AO Captain NH Godkin was helped by Major SW Eldridge'

The author often refers to G1098 throughout the text when he seems to be talking about the units movements etc.

Could G1098 be the indentifier number?

Perhaps you have the book and I am completely wrong but hopefully this helps you a tad.

Best regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi John,

As an ex-Crab (RAF), I may be wrong but I believe that the G1098 referred to in the book is Form G1098 which, I believe, was a record of the entitlement of war stores and equipment authorised for issue to a Unit.

The equipment listed was referred to as 'G1098 stores'...

I understood this to be an Army form, but it is possible that it was used the Royals too.

Nick

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 14/04/2011 21:34:54

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi John just read your reply to Martyns post and out of interest Googled G1098 with the following result from the National Archives web site.

"Army Form G 1098. Pronounced 'G ten ninety-eight' this data tabulation form is also known as the War Equipment Table, otherwise by the initialism WET and sometimes also, erroneously as the War Establishment Table. It was a record of war equipment authorised for issue to a unit of the British Army and is the functional equivalent of the American Table of Organisation & Equipment. (A 'unit' being defined by the War Office as any formed body of men with an authorised War Establishment. War Establishments may be further traced elsewhere in TNA in their own separate Class.) Such was its ubiquity the nomenclature of this 'G' series form was utilised to name Station 1098 , ie, Station Ten Ninety-Eight the logistics base organisation of the SAS Brigade. Nomenclature and functions of British Army Forms are notified in Army Council Instructions and Army Orders both of which may be further traced elsewhere in TNA."

Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Martyn H
Forum Member
[Avatar]

John,

Many thanks for you answer. Your book sounds very interesting. G1098 is reference to equipment and its issue. It's still used today, I should know as I'm QM of ASGRM and have a G1098 store for the issue of personal webbing and equipemnt to an indivdual. Does your book have any other references to unit numbers?

Regards

Martyn
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Martyn,

It may be worth getting in contact with this site - it is a living history group concentrating on 48 RM Cdo.

http://48royalmarinecommando.com/

i have found that because these groups concentrate their research on a particular unit etc, they often have a lot of detailed info.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Danny L
Forum Member

Hi,
According to the book ?The British Soldier From D Day to VE Day Volume 2? by Jean Bouchery the serial number for 48 RM Commando is ?96?.

The colour of the square its was painted on was : top half red, bottom half black.

Another book on the unit is J.L. Moulton?s , ?Haste to the Battle : a Marine Commando at war?. published by Cassell in 1963. A Commanding Officer's memoirs.

Regards

Danny
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Danny,
Thanks for that info - I'm sure it'll help Martyn.

On the same line, do you have any other unit ID numbers?

I believe No1 Cdo, No5 Cdo, 42Rm Cdo & 44 RM Cdo were 66, 67, 68 & 69 respectively but maybe you can confirm this?
Would the unit IDs change depending on the Brigade?

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Martyn and all

Well at least I now know what G1098 means :D............sorry Martyn it was no help at all.

The book is very interesting. It has many references that I am sure would interest you. If there is anything specific I can look for just let me know.

I think the book can still be obtained on the secondary market although it may prove a bit expensive.........around £80.........its only 112 pages but quite unique. Photos etc of groups of officers and the like.

Any way I hope your post here will prove rewarding as we have many good researchers in the forum.

Best regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Martyn H
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Gent's

This is outstanding, I've been onto the Corps museum and the 48 commando living history group who couldn't help. Less than 24 hours with Royal and the answer comes rushing in. Thanks again.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Again to carry on with this subject of Unit ID numbers, looking through the Gallery I noticed that in the 46 RM Cdo Album, a number of vehicles are clearly marked '56'

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/46/The+CO+jeep+and+Deacon+Neustadt.jpg.html

and there are a few photos of 46 RM Cdo lads with direction signs - again showing '56'

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/46/IMG_0005_001.jpg.html

Presumably 56 was the Unit ID for 46 RM Cdo?

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/04/2011 21:55:16

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

NIC wrote:
Presumably 56 was the Unit ID for 46 RM Cdo?

... and then looking through the same 46 RM Cdo album I came across this
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/46/harry+martin+john+fairhurst_.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
which is clearly marked 63...

nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Danny L
Forum Member

Hi Nick,
Some others are listed in the book as :

81 on Red Square HQ 1st Special Service Brigade
81 on White/Blue Square Brigade Signals
55 on Red Square 3 Commando
56 on Red Square 4 Commando
57 on Red Square 6 Commando
58 on Red Square 45 RM Commando

100 on Red/Black Square HQ 4th Special Service Brigade
100 on White/Blue Square Brigade Signals
92 on Red/Black Square 41 RM Commando
93 on Red/Black Square 46 RM Commando
95 on Red/Black Square 47 RM Commando
96 on Red/Black Square 48 RM Commando

I cannot confirm that the serial numbers you have for the 3rd Special Service Brigade are right as I don?t have any information handy at the moment but I imagine they are correct.

I will have a look at a few bits and pieces that I have from the National Archives/books over the next few days and see if I can find any other information on the numbers.

Regards

Danny
willysjeep
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Folks,

I have also been trying to sort out this issue, and like Martyn trying to find 48 RMC's correct Unit ID.
I did think all this was solved by Bouchery's book, but this books info appears to be incorrect as Nick also spotted.
Scouring through photos and talking to veterans, these are the numbers so far that I think are correct.

4th Special Service Brigade HQ 100 on Red/Black Square
41 Commando 53 on Red/Black Square
46 Commando 56 on Red/Black Square
47 Commando 96 on Red/Black Square

1st Special Service Brigade HQ 81 on Red Square
(Also spotted an unknown truck at 1st S.S. HQ with 83 displayed, can't give you background colour.)

Still not found 48's number, so please if anyone knows, or can ask a veteran, let me know!

Cheers,
Sean.
http://48royalmarinecommando.com/
[WWW]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger