commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Larry Stephens  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have a couple of questions which I?m hoping someone will be able to help me answer please.

Firstly, I would love to know who the person who appears in the photo with my cousin, Larry Stephens of no.5 Commando, is. It must have been taken after 10 February 1946 when Larry was made an Acting Captain and would probably have been in Hong Kong. Larry is the taller of the two men.

Secondly, I am unsure about two entries on Larry?s service record. My best guess is ?Admitted Base Hospital Bangalore? and ?Discharged Hospital to No.5 Commando? but can anyone confirm that there was a hospital in Bangalore or offer any alternative suggestions as to what the entries read?

Many thanks,

Julie
[Thumb - Larry_Stephens_and_Another.jpg]
 Filename Larry_Stephens_and_Another.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Larry Stephens and unknown officer
 Filesize 77 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  476 time(s)

[Thumb - Larry_Stephens_Service_Records.jpg]
 Filename Larry_Stephens_Service_Records.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Larry Stephens' service record
 Filesize 24 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  490 time(s)

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Julie,
Certainly in the photo Larry is a Captain (three pips) and it would appear that his fellow officer is a Lieutenant (two pips). As yet I am unable to identify the other officer.

I can confirm that there was a British Military Hospital (BMH) in Bangalore - although at this stage I'm not sure what number it was.

I have to say that the small extract of Larry's Service Records is quite unlike any that I have seen and do not seem to contain the usual Pt II Order Nos, service jargon, abbreviations etc. They also seem to be written in a very unfamiliar hand - most of the No5 Records I've seen have been written by a few people whose writing I've now come to recognise!
Have you recieved these documents recently? Are they photocopies of the originals or just transcripts?
Is it possible to see a larger portion - including the various signatures?

Regards,
Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 02/04/2011 00:34:11

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick,

This is a scan of a copy of a copy of the service records I?ve managed to get hold of! I?m in the middle of a 6-9 month wait for my own set from the Army Personnel Centre.

I?ve now uploaded a larger extract which covers all Commando-related service.

Thanks for your help.

Julie
[Thumb - Larry_Stephens_Service_Records2.jpg]
 Filename Larry_Stephens_Service_Records2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Larry Stephens Commando service
 Filesize 57 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  489 time(s)

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger