commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando Locations in North Wales  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I?m going to be in North Wales tomorrow and will probably visit Harlech, Criccieth and Porthmadog. Does anyone know whereabouts the Commando camps were, or any other locations of note? I assume there?s not actually much there to see anyway.

I think someone needs to write a version of ?Commando Country? to cover North Wales!

Cheers
Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi, Paul
The Dutch Commandos were based in Portmadoc and their HQ was where the Ffestiniog railway station is situated. There is a memorial there presented by Jan Timmer, the son of a Dutch Commando, who married a local girl, I believe that they used to train ship to shore assault. As mentioned in other threads, the Commandos trained in Snowdonia, (Watkins path) mentioned in previous threads also there were 3 buildings in Llanrwst that the Commandos acquired one of the buildings, no longer exists but was near to where the police station now stands. The second was accross the road to the Pen-Y-Bont hotel. The third building is on the main road (A470) between Betws-Y-)Coed and Llanrwst and is just about visible on the right hand side mid-way between these 2 villages (see my previous threads for photos. 10A Inter-allied commandos mostly Jewish, were based a little further south in Aberdyfi, and there is a memorial in the park. I agree that more information about the Commandos and their training in north Wales would be a good idea, but due to the nature of what they did and of the secrecy that had to be maintained, I think that further information regarding this area and the Commandos during this period would be extremely difficult, as some units packed up and left shortly before D-Day? (My late father was in No 1 Commando and he never, like so many, never, or were unwilling to mention any details of their service. I know that Idris of No 1 Commando has only recently opened up, thanks to Andy Mains.

Best regards

Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Belly wrote:

I think someone needs to write a version of ?Commando Country? to cover North Wales!

I'm with you & Kevin on this one Paul, the trouble is there isn't a lot of detailed information about particular buildings etc...

We also know that the HOC (Holding Operational Commando) was in Wrexham, but actually where is a different matter...

Any information you manage to uncover will be more than welcome

Have fun,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Further to Kevin's reply,

No9 Commando, at one time, had its HQ in Criccieth

No10 (IA) Cdo had its HQ at Harlech

French Troops, No10 (IA) Cdo at Criccieth

Belgian Troop, No10 (IA) Cdo at Abersoch

Polish Troop, No10 (IA) Cdo at Fairbourne

Dutch Troop, No10 (IA) Cdo - Porthmadoc (Portmadog)

X Troop, No10 (IA) Cdo - Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)

Norwegian Troop No10 (IA) Cdo - Nevin

CMWTC (Commando Mountain Warfare Training Camp) - Llanwrst.

HOC (Holding Operational Commando) - Wrexham

Nick

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 27/03/2011 00:08:46

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Chaps

I?ll let you know what if anything I find. I?ve convinced the Mrs I?m taking her to the seaside!

Digging around, (according to the Osprey No. 10 book) I understand that:

No. 1 French Troop had its HQ at the George Hotel in Criccieth.
No. 4 Belgian Troop raised its flag at Abersoch Yacht Club

Cheers
Paul

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Some photos of my trip round North Wales yesterday, didn?t find much out and it was a bit rushed but a lovely day out!

[Thumb - P1060103.JPG]
 Filename P1060103.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Aberdovey/Aberdyfi, Penhelig Park, Postcode: LL35 0LU 10A Inter-allied commando No.3 troop memorial
 Filesize 971 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  830 time(s)

[Thumb - P1060106.JPG]
 Filename P1060106.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Aberdovey/Aberdyfi, Penhelig Park
 Filesize 1137 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  686 time(s)

[Thumb - P1060116.JPG]
 Filename P1060116.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Aberdovey/Aberdyfi, Penhelig Park Rose bed
 Filesize 1871 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  660 time(s)

[WWW]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

And a few more:
[Thumb - P1060161.JPG]
 Filename P1060161.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Porthmadog, Ffestiniog railway station, Postcode LL49 9NF HQ of No. 2 Dutch Troop
 Filesize 1562 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  616 time(s)

[Thumb - P1060170.JPG]
 Filename P1060170.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description The plaque is in the 'Tafarn Y Tren Bach' as you go through the door. Sadly there used to be training photos, but these have been taken down and replaced with the specials menu board...
 Filesize 886 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  638 time(s)

[Thumb - P1060173.JPG]
 Filename P1060173.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Criccieth, George Hotel, 23 High Street, Postcode: LL52 0BS No. 1 French Troop HQ
 Filesize 1455 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  570 time(s)

[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Recently read that HOC was at Hermitage Camp Wrexham - I don't know if anything still exists of the camp?

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Good find Nick!

After a bit of cyber digging it appears, the site was taken over by the Ysgol Morgan Llwyd School in July 64.

It's now the 'new town' area and his been well developed. Looking in google earth, it looks like nothing remains. I've added to my 'Commando Map:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=207590277586011107317.0004a107ac718aaa9f32b&z=4

Cheers
Paul

[WWW]
mike beckett
Forum Member

Dare I mention it ... The Royal Marines Historical Society published a 'Special Publication No 14' booklet of 132 pages concerning 'Royal Marines in Wales' This includes several interesting locations (largely RM connected). It dates from 1992 and was by Anthony J Perrett. I don't think it cost a great deal and is certainly good for the 'glove box' if visiting Wales. Copies may be available from:
RMHS Publication Sales
RMHS Office
Royal Marines Museum
Southsea
Hants
PO4 9PX
Tel (023) 9236 1617 - manned 10.00am to 12.30 Thursdays
email: [email protected] - manned same hours as above

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger