commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
bench  XML
Forum Index » Association Events
sgtmoon
Forum Member

can anyone help we have bean donated a bench to be put at the remembrance garden at the Commando memorial at spean bridge by the plaswood company dumfries i have asked the council to help put it there three time now but they never get back to me , time is running out as we where hoping to put it there over the 2/3 April when we do our commemorative march . it is a lovely peace of work and would look lovely there for people to sit and take in the view. never thought it would be so hard to give something away can anyone help in the way of who to talk to to get this put in place

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/03/2011 11:42:17

[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi there

Councils work in a set way when putting something new in place and this would be even more important when dealing with the area around a Memorial. There will be Planning law to contend with. Have you actually written to them with your suggestion, or are you telephoning/emailing them. They would be wanting exact details of the size , the construction type and make of the bench ( a photograph would be ideal) , exactly where you are requesting to have it placed, whether you have any funding for the cost of placing it there ( there would need to be a concrete base I would imagine if the Council were involved), etc. The sort of questions asked in a Planning Consent application form which indeed may require completion. One thing they would take into consideration when making their decision is the fact that there is a bench already in situ between the Memorial and the Garden of Remembrance. I have attached a photo here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/Spean+Bridge+2009/P1160314.JPG.html

I am not aware of the condition of that particular bench, but that would certainly be an influencing factor in their decision making.

Having said all this if they are not responding that makes things very difficult. One option is to write to the local MP and the Councillors for the area with your idea in order to get their support. However all this will take time and I think that it is unlikely that you will get approval for this years event as there are now only 2 weeks left until your deadline.

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
sgtmoon
Forum Member

thanks for the reply yes i did put in writing and yes i gave them the size . . also called to talk with planing officer , i think it would be better to just forget the hole idea the bench is very simuler to what is in the photo.
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi again

It's a good idea and I would not give up just yet. I doubt whether you would need another bench by the Garden of Remembrance. So you perhaps need to think about another location perhaps just off the car park near the path that leads up to the monument where a bench might be useful especially for the elderly who may be visiting. I cannot recall if there are any benches other than the one in the photo. When you go up there in April have a look around the area and make your decision then. If you think there is a need for another then take some photos of where you think it may be of use. A relatively flat piece of land, if you can find one there, is going to be the best. I would then write or email the local MP, the local councillors, and the Chief Executive of the Local Authority to try and get them on your side. If you get one or more of them supporting you, your task will be that much easier, and I assure you the Planning Officer will respond if one of those people are involved.

Keep us informed as to your progress. I hate to see anything donated for free not being put to good use !!

Pete

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 12/03/2011 19:46:23

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
sgtmoon
Forum Member

yes i agree as my day job i worked for SPS teaching hard landscaping so i know a bit about putting bench's in place and so on , but as i live way down in Ayrshire i thought it better to let the local council put it in place , i think i will leave it for now and try to do as you say and Ame for next year' march for placing it , thanks
[WWW]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

SgtMoon,
I had a meeting with the Warder of Fort William last week regarding the extending of the Garden of Remembrance and establishing a seperate area for scattering of ashes. The work is about to start and hopefully should be completed for November for Remembrance Weekend. I am sure that we could arrange for the bench to be included in the 'upgrade'. If it would be ok I could mention that the bench has been donated to the CVA for the purpose of adding to the 'upgrade'. They may then even have a small area paved to receive it.

Regards

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'

Forum Index » Association Events
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger