commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Seeking information about Daniel Rommetvedt, 10 (IA) Commando, No. 5 troop  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Cutstone
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Daniel Rommetvedt escaped nazy occupied Norway onboard the fishingvesset Sjøleik in october 1941. 30.
3. October 1942 he joined 10 (IA) Commando, No. 5 tropp, where he became troop leader, with missions to Norway. He was seriously wounded by a sniper on Walcheren, but recovered.
I knew Daniel well, as he lived not far from me and we han many talks. Sadly he passed away 20. July 2000.
How do I proceed to get his service records in the commandoes, or any other information about his time in the commandoes. He was discharged April 30. 1945, in preperation to return to Norway. Will it help with letters from his daughters?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/03/2011 16:23:13

Nothing's impossible, the impossible just take a little bit longer time.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I am not certain as to whether this will apply to those from 10IA Commando but here is a link to how to apply for Service Records in the UK:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/ServiceRecords/MakingARequestForInformationHeldOnThePersonnelRecordsOfDeceasedServicePersonnel.htm

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Cutstone
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Pete. I had already been there and printed aplications, as well as the one for next of kin?s consent. I will try it and see if they have anything about norwegians.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi again

I should have mentioned before but if you, or his family, have any pictures of Daniel Rommetvedt either from his army days, or at post war gatherings, please feel free to post them on this forum message. I have seen a reference to him being a Lieutenant in No.10IA Commando 5 troop but know little else about him. Alternatively if you wish you can email them to me. Once I have seen them I can then decide on which ones are most suitable for the CVA gallery.

Regards

Pete Rogers

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Cutstone
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have a lot of pictures that his daughter Helen Parnas has been so nice and let me copy. She is the owner of the following pictures. If there are anyone with information conserning him or the pictures she and I would be very happy.
[Thumb - certif.jpg]
 Filename certif.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Daniels Commando Service certificate. Anyone who can decipher the hanwritten location and name?
 Filesize 100 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  443 time(s)

[Thumb - Rommetvedt-02-Walcheren.jpg]
 Filename Rommetvedt-02-Walcheren.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Daniel during the fighting on Walcheren.
 Filesize 146 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  408 time(s)

[Thumb - Rommetvedt-01.jpg]
 Filename Rommetvedt-01.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 157 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  382 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/03/2011 20:59:26

Cutstone
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Adding a couple of more pictures. These might as well be moved to the Photo Gallery.
[Thumb - Rommetvedt-04.jpg]
 Filename Rommetvedt-04.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description The norwegian commandoes.
 Filesize 141 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  480 time(s)

[Thumb - Rommetvedt-03.jpg]
 Filename Rommetvedt-03.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Daniel is second from the left. Interested in the names of the other.
 Filesize 174 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  500 time(s)

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Cutstone,

Those are great pictures of Daniel Rommetvedt - thanks for sharing them with us.
We only have a couple of photos of 5 (Norge) Troop 10(IA) Commandos in the gallery so these are more than welcome.
It's fantastic that the group photo has all the names on too.

The only thing I know about Lt Rommetvedt was that he was shot through the lung during the fighting at Walcheren but you already know that.

Tak,

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Here is a short history of 5 (Norge) Troop, 10(IA) Cdo which may be of interest.

Filename 5_Norge_Troop-1.doc [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1188 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 21/03/2011 16:59:11

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Cutstone

Thank you for the photos. I have posted all them in the 5 troop album of No.10 Inter Allied Commando. I have created a sub album for Daniel and posted the individual photos of him and his Commando Service Certificate in there.

Would you be kind enough to inform Helen Paras about the posting of her photos on our site. Should she have any concerns please ask her to contact me direct on my email below, or via pm or this forum message. Also if she, or your goodself, wish to add any more information about him I can add it to his personal album. I would also like to add your name Cutstone if you would let me know it . As his friend providing us the information I think it would be only proper to do so.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/10IA/Norwegian/

Regards

Pete Rogers

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger