commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Frank Selman. Commando 1940/1942.  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Selman
Forum Member

Sadly my father passed away in Nov last year aged 93. He spoke very little of his time in the war.
I did find out that he volunteered as a Commando, and went to Scotland to train with Lord Lovat. He later went on small raids to the North coast of France in 41/42. During one raid his party were involved with some Germans on bicycles? His Bren gunner was wounded and mentioned in dispatches..
If anyone can help perhaps identify a unit or even of heard of him..He was a Sgt and ended up training small arms etc at Studland prior to D Day.
Many thanks.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Selman,
Welcome to the CVA.
You are not alone in knowing very little about what your father did during the War, very few of us had a real idea but with a little research you can find out quite a bit.
Unfortunately, you have given us very little to work on and so my advice, that I give to most people, would be to apply to MoD for his Service Records.
Service Records will show enlistment, training, transfers (to Commando), Units, woundings, hospitalisation, promotions, detentions etc...

You will need to fill out the forms (links below) to the fullest extent that you can.
Full Forename(s), Surname, Date of Birth are the very least that the MoD can work on.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/PersonnelPublications/ServiceRecords/RequestFormsForServicePersonnelDetailsArmy.htm

Presuming that you are next of kin (or can get permission from next of kin, you need to use this form as well (otherwise use General Enquirers form)
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/PersonnelPublications/ServiceRecords/RequestFormsForServicePersonnelDetailsNextOfKinForm.htm

The bad news is that there is a considerable delay of about 9 - 12 months as the office is extremely busy dealing with claims for benevolent grants etc - but be patient, it will be worth it in the end I'm sure.

In the meantime if you have any photos or documents that may help in our research please post them in this thread and we will be able to work on them and elicit as much info as possible.

Regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Selman
Forum Member

Many thanks.I now have his service number, it only has 6 figures, but I presume that is correct?
Having seen some scanned copies of service records on the internet, I presume there will be someone who has the knowledge to decipher to some extent their meaning?
Many thanks for the assistance.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Selman,

Yes of course if you need any help deciphering the records I'll be very pleased to help.

nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

Having just read your message again, I wonder if the small raid that you mentioned involving Germans on Bicycles could possibly be Operation Deepcut that was carried out by members of 5 Troop of No.1 Commando on the night of 28th Sep 1941 at St Vaast Bay N. France. My father Hugh Maines was on this raid and they did indeed encounter a German Bicycle patrol which they ambushed, capturing one prisoner who and later died of his wounds in the landing craft on their way back from the raid.
The following link will take you to a photograph of this raiding party as they were about to disembark from the ALC after the raid, as you can see many of the mens faces are clearly visible.
I am in contact with a veteran of No1 Called Idris Jones and am due to visit him again in April, I will ask him if he remembers your father's name.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/Operation+deepcut/J201-Reduced+quality+_933KB_+French+raid+photo.jpg.html

Cheers Andy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/03/2011 19:35:49

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Selman
Forum Member

Andy, many thanks. I have sent you a pm. I think I may be able to identify dad.
Many thanks
Jason

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger