commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Sapper Frank Eaton - 5 commando and Royal Engineers, Burma 1944  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Anthony Ellis
Forum Member

Hello,

I am trying to find any information out concerning my Grandfather Sapper Frank Eaton, No 14217573 serving with the Royal Engineers and 5 commando when he was killed in action 27th March 1944. Last year the family lost our mother leaving myself, a brother and a sister and we made a promise between ourselves to try and find out as much information as we could. I aim planning to visit the Tauyykan War Cemetry where my grandfather lies in 2014, which would be 70 years since he died. When my grandmother was alive she did not talk too much about their life together except commenting on how much like him I looked, even when I walked into the house in my British Rail overalls which caused a major problem with her at the time.

Any help, guidance or assistance would be gratefully appreciatted.

Many thanks

Anthony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/03/2011 23:21:49

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Anthony,
Welcome to the CVA.

Your Grandfather served in 5 Troop, No5 Commando - the same troop as my father, Rfn Mick Collins.
Sapper Frank Eaton was Killed in Action at Maungdaw on the 23rd March 1944.
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2085326

No5 Cdo had been dispatched at short notice on an operation well suited to Commando tactics. A battery of mountain artillery was in danger of being overwhelmed. Major Robin Stuart the 2i/c (second in command) led two troops, 4 & 5, in a very spirited action over rough open ground. 5 Troop, under Capt Kerr, came under withering machine-gun fire from unlocated positions and suffered many casualties, but their momentum was scarcely checked, and soon the troops were at grips with the enemy and it became a matter of hack and cut, turn and trample. Fighting on through the short eastern twilight the Japanese eventually gave way, leaving many dead on the ground and the battery was safe. Capt Kerr lost an arm in the engagement, and his troop had no fewer than twenty two men killed and fourteen wounded. Men from 4 Troop, including Lt R W Noble, performed many feats of gallantry in rescuing the wounded under intense fire.

There is an account of the ambush in which your grandfather fell and my father was wounded in The Green Beret, by Hilary St George Saunders,
this link will take you to the No5 Cdo Album in the Gallery where I have posted the excerpt from that book and the footnote my father wrote.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/hill+in+the+jungle/

Although not specific to your grandfather, I do have other info about No5 Cdo which may be of interest to you.
Furthermore, I would encourage you to apply to the MoD for his Service Records.
I'll forward it to you.

Kind regards,
Nick

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 25/02/2011 23:57:17

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Anthony,

Just in case you find the handwritten note difficult to read here is a transcript:

Rfn Mick Collins wrote:shortly after this 3 & 4 Sub-sections became surrounded & were caught in the open by withering fire. Capt Kerr was badly wounded having his arm practically severed by machine gun fire.
Everywhere lay dead or wounded Commandos. Those who could move tried to reach the cover of the jungle but were shot down immediately. Capt Kerr was again hit in both legs & lost consciousness.
4 Troop coming to the rescue brought 2" mortars into play & after a while they seemed to be having some effect.
Just before dusk, Lt Noble (Coldstream Guards) brought a stretcher party out into the open & at great personal risk took Capt Kerr & myself [then Rfn Mick Collins] to cover.
For this he was awarded the MC

nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Anthony Ellis
Forum Member

Nick,

Many thanks for this and glad to become a member of the CVA forum. I will pass this information onto my brother and sister. Shortly after posting my request I remembered working with a chap named Alf Moores who if memory serves me right also served with 5 commando. I'm not sure what happened to him but I worked with him at a container manufacturing plant in Reddish Stockport back in 1983. From memory he lived in a n area called Heaton Chapel north of Stockport.

I will try and locate a copy of The Green Beret for us all to keep and read up on events. We came across the telegram to my Gran and my grandfathers medals when we cleared my Mum's house out last year and that re-ignited the desire to find out more.

Once again many many thanks and I will be writing to the MOD in the morning

Kind regards

Anthony

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Anthony,

Here is the link to the MoD with the relevant forms you'll need to complete.
I'm afraid there is a £30 fee and a projected 9 - 12 month delay at the moment.
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/PersonnelPublications/ServiceRecords/

The British Army search document (Part 2) must be completed to request the disclosure of information held on the personnel records of deceased members of the Army.

Additionally, either Part 1 (general enquirer's form) or Part 1 (next of kin form) must be completed in all cases and can be found under "Related Pages.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Anthony,

I do understand your desire to learn more about your brave grandfather.
Everyone on the website & forum has experienced the same feelings.

I have compiled a nominal roll for No5 Cdo and I'm afraid Alf Moores is not listed as a member of No5 however, it is not a definitive list and if you can find out more information regarding the gentleman, I will be pleased to add his name to the Roll.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/762.page

We Will Remember Them.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Anthony Ellis
Forum Member

Thanks Nick,

A year's delay won't seem long considering we've not touched anything on this front for so long.

More form filling, just like being back in the RAF.....

Kind regards

Anthony
Anthony Ellis
Forum Member

Nick,

I will try to contact some old old friends who I used to work with and see what I can find out. I've passed some of the information onto my brother and sister and my sister is especially grateful for your help.

The jigsaw is coming together very very slowly

And we will indeed remember them

Anthony
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Anthony,
I'm ex-RAF as well - 27 years man & boy, Trade group 14, first operational station - RAF Scampton.

The 9 - 12 month delay is put out by Army Records as a very rough guide as they are busy dealing with applications for benevolence and welfare funds as you can appreciate.
In reality the delay is much less.

Regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Anthony Ellis
Forum Member

I can understand that about the delays Nick. They are far more important than this. I have a stepson who both his Mum and I are very proud. He is actively serving in 1 RHA and has already put us through the mill by touring Iraq and Afghanistan.

I was only in the RAF for a couple of years as an assistant air traffic controller. Left in 1990 when I moved up here to Grimsby.

Regards

Anthony
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Anthony,

I'm only too pleased to be of assistance and to be able to give you so much info on my first response - normally it takes a lot more research to find any snippets of info.

Do have a good browse through our gallery and especially the No5 Cdo Album - there are some fantastic personal photos in there and there may even be one with your grandfather on. If you do recognise him please let me know then I can annotate the photo accordingly.
Also, if you have any photos of your Grandfather that you'd like us to display as a means of commemorating his days in The Commandos I would be very pleased to upload them into the gallery for you.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/

Regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger