commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Desmond Hurst  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Robert46
Forum Member

My uncle Desmond Hurst (PLY X 3469) served in 40 Commando mainly in the Italian Campaign 1944-45. He was Mentioned in Dispatches for services in Italy 1st April 1945 to 8th May 1945. We understand the MID was awarded for action at Menate Canal. My question is related to the MID--are citations available? I would also appreciate infomation as to which Troop he was a member. By April 1945 Desmond was a Corporal (Acting Temporary Sergeant).
ROBERT 46
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Robert

The entry in the London Gazette is still available and shows this entry :
Corporal (Acting Temporary Sergeant) ' Desmond HURST, Ply/X.3469 (Horncliffe, Berwick-on-Tweed).

on this link:
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/37505/supplements/1441

The National Archives website shows that very few of the recommendations for Mentioned in Despatches survive:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/wo373.asp

Worth contacting them to clarify where those that did survive are kept and how accessed. The Royal Marines Museum historical section may possibly have some detail.

If you have any photos of your uncle from his time in 40RM Commando that you would like placed in our gallery please contact me direct on my email address below or post them on this forum message.

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 10/02/2011 15:40:20

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger