commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Johan Kristian Larsen Stene - No 5 Tp of No 10 (IA) Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Posted on behalf of Leslie Stene

Hi,

I've recently found out that my grandfather was with No 5 troop of No 10 (Inter Allied) Commando at Walcheren and the river Maas in November 44 to February 45. As they were both part of the Royal Norwegian Army and under British command, I'm trying to find out more about him and his service history. I've had the basics from the national archives in Norway, but the records raise some intriguing questions that I'd love to be able to answer!

I have his name, date of birth and Norwegian service number and I know when he landed in the UK (at Falmouth, probably on a Norwegian ship from his home city of Bergen that was sailing as part of a British convoy as part of Norway's efforts as a 'hidden ally' while remaining outwardly neutral). He died not long after the war and my grandmother passed away a couple of years ago. My father was a child when he passed away, so knows less than I currently do.

I wonder if you can suggest anyone in your association who's researching the Norwegian troop and who might be interested in the records I have, or who could help me. Or would you know if there are records held at Kew that I could go and research for myself? I'd be intrigued to find out if he was a member of No 5 troop from his arrival in Britain in 1940.

A friend of mine, who's heavily involved in historical fencing and is a sword-maker in Edinburgh who re-enacts as a commando to honour his family history, suggested I should contact you as I believe he's had a lot of help from you - his name is Paul MacDonald.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Lesley HL Stene

Geoff,

Thank you. His name was Johan Kristian Larsen Stene (known by the surname Larsen by the Norwegians and his second name was anglicised on British documents as Christian). He came from Bergen, was born on 16 June 1909 and his Norwegian service number was 829. He joined the Royal Norwegian Army in Britain in June 1940, not long after his arrival at Falmouth. He was immediately made a Corporal and was one of the Norwegians who helped set up the Norwegian Reception Camp (later the Norwegian Army Camp) at Moniaive just outside Dumfries.

Lesley HL Stene

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/02/2011 20:02:02

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger