commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
My uncles service record. Lionel R Johnston 14329144  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
steve
Forum Member

On his service record it states that in 1943 joined lanc fus sent oversea. Volunteered for no 2 commando jan44.
I am trying to find where he may have seen action during his service.He was wounded on July 29 1944.Are there any documents available that would indicate in what action he was wounded.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/04/2013 18:32:01

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Steve

Welcome to the CVA. In January 1944 No.2 Commando were at Molfetta in Italy and were rebuilding the Commando after its heavy losses at Salerno. This involved recruiting not from Achnacarry, but from the 5th Army and North Africa. This is the likely route your uncle took. After volunteering they were interviewed for suitability by selected No.2 Cdo Officers. Those being accepted were then placed into Training Troops. At this time it was decided to name the training troops after No.2 Cdo Officers who had been killed. As a result in January 1944 there was a Wellington Training Troop, named after Capt. the Duke of Wellington, Captain of 2 troop, and Broome Training Troop, named after Captain Dickie Broome of 5 troop. Both these officers had been killed in action some 3 months before at Salerno. Their training In Italy was rigorous and the War Diary states considerable numbers of personnel failing to come up to standard were RTU'd. Towards the end of January 1944 No.2 Cdo. moved to the Yugoslav island of Vis where they linked up with Partisan Forces. Here your uncle is likely to have participated in the numerous raids on other German occupied islands in the area. This continued until July 1944 when No.2 Commando moved to Monopoli. It was from there that they set off on the raid to Albania. It is likely that your uncle was wounded during Operation Healing 2 which took place on the 28th/29th July 1944 at Spilje, Albania. Most of the above information is from the official No.2 Commando War Diary.

There was an official film unit accompanying No.2 Commando on this raid and some footage can be seen here :

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=23453

and a photo of some of 5 troop in Albania can be seen here :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/5+troop/Operation+Healing+2+-+Spilje-+Albania-July+1944-pic+2.jpg.html

The Imperial War Museum do have other still photos from the raid that you can purchase, some of which coincidentally were sent to me only a couple of days ago. I am about to contact them with a view to the CVA being allowed to display them on our website.

Have you any photos of your uncle from his Army or Commando days. If so please contact me direct on my email address below. We have an extensive gallery of photos for No.2 Commando and we can include personal documents such as Commando Service Certificates also. Although there is no official list of Commandos who served I have a note that he was from Newcastle and his rank was Fusilier. Perhaps you can confirm this. Also can you just confirm that his forename and surname are as you have spelt them,ie. Lional rather than Lionel, and Johnston with a 'T'.

Regards

Pete Rogers

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 02/02/2011 19:19:28

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
steve
Forum Member

Hi, thanks for the information .I have attached files of his service record which show when he joined no2 Cdo also confirming when he was wounded and a photo of him in uniform.
[Thumb - Picture 015.jpg]
 Filename Picture 015.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description service records
 Filesize 767 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  419 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/02/2011 22:45:33

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Steve

The photo does not appear to have been posted. Should you have any difficulties please email me the photo and I will upload it direct

Pete R

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/02/2011 22:45:56

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
steve
Forum Member

Photos of Lionel Robson Johnston 1 taken before active service the other after return.
[Thumb - Lional robson johnston No2 Cdo commando unifofm.jpg]
 Filename Lional robson johnston No2 Cdo commando unifofm.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 136 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  392 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 15/02/2011 22:46:38

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Steve

I have created a small album for the 2 photos of your uncle you placed here and included some of the information. Please check it and let me know if there are any errors. At present it is located on Page 3 of the No.2 Commando album on this link:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/?g2_page=3

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/02/2011 22:47:04

[Email]
Pete Keane
Forum Member

Very interesting - nice to be able to read a request that can be answered so fully.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/02/2011 22:47:23

steve
Forum Member

There are other photos from my uncles collection that other users maybe interested in see attached.
[Thumb - Commandos.jpg]
 Filename Commandos.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 2 photos one of a group of Cdos
 Filesize 407 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  378 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/02/2011 22:47:41

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Steve

In the group photo there are 2 or 3 who look familiar posibly 5 troop men. I will send these photos, and that of your uncle, to Eric Buckmaster who was in 5 troop No.2 Commando to see if he can assist with any information. Although it may seem obvious I always ask people to point out any names they know in photos they contribute, so can you point out your uncle and any others in each of the 2 photos. Thanks.

Pete
[Thumb - Commandos[2].jpg]
 Filename Commandos[2].jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 337 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  394 time(s)

[Thumb - Commandos[1].jpg]
 Filename Commandos[1].jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Ernie Hurst and Doug Fitton 5 troop No.2 Cdo
 Filesize 538 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  364 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 15/02/2011 22:48:05

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Eric Buckmaster has responded and confirms that the two Commandos together are Ernie Hurst on the left and Doug Fitton on the right, both of his own, and my father and uncle's troop, 5 troop No.2 Cdo. The group photo as I thought and Eric confirms contains the following:

Front row squatting:l-r. 1. Bill Aspey; 2. Ben Fryer; 3. n/k
Standing l-r 1. Jimmy Smith; 2. n/k ; 3. possibly George Deaker (later kia); other faces recognised but names n/k.

Eric goes on to say, "Doug Fitton came from a Kilted Regiment. The building they are in seems to suggest Molfetta. Italy"

My thanks to Eric for helping to identify some of these people some 68 years after the photo was taken !

My father's notebook shows Doug Fitton as originally from the Kings Own Scottish Borderers.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 15/02/2011 22:48:39

[Email]
steve
Forum Member

can eric comfirm which opperations 5 troop were on from Jan 44- May 45

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/02/2011 22:48:54

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Steve

The CVA history of No.2 Commando written by Bob Bishop MC of No.2 Commando, whom we dearly miss, gives you that information. Here is the link to January 1944:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/site/no-2-commando-yugoslavia

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/02/2011 18:53:09

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Steve

I had originally only sent Eric Buckmaster the 1st photo where he looks very young. I later sent him the second full length photo and he has replied as follows:

"With reference to Lionel Johnston in the the first Photograph that you sent, the expression of his Face only picture, looked so young and if I may say gentle, also the name Lionel threw me, so that I did not recognise him.

The second Photograph shows the man that Stanley & I knew. To us he was Geordie Johnson ( we would not have known the finer points of how exactly he spelled his name ).

If you came from the North East you were were simply Geordie. If you were Irish you were Paddy. We had 2 or 3 of each in 5 Troop (We even had a Geordie O'Reilly who came from the North East with an Irish Name and a Newcastle Accent)

He was some 6' 2" quite sturdy and physically as hard as nails. He came from the North East and had the delightful accent that comes from that Region. He definitely joined 5 Troop and was a very likeable man

I have also sent you a private message Steve

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 15/02/2011 22:49:36

[Email]
steve
Forum Member

Hi Pete,
and a very big thank you to Mr Buckmaster.His description of my uncle was very kind .The years must of took a lot out of those young men.I have attached more photographs of my uncle which were taken on his return to his origonal unit and also after his return to civilian life. The change in him is there for everyone to see .From when he first enlisted ,to his return to his origonal unit and then back home in 1947.
On the group photo my uncle is standing on the far right with a white shirt on.
[Thumb - L R Johnston 1947.jpg]
 Filename L R Johnston 1947.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 469 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  403 time(s)

[Thumb - Fus Johnston.jpg]
 Filename Fus Johnston.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 92 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  351 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 15/02/2011 22:51:24

steve
Forum Member

photograph of him later in his service
[Thumb - Lionel robson Johnston Cdo.jpg]
 Filename Lionel robson Johnston Cdo.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 128 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  392 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/02/2011 22:51:06

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger