commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
William Cyril Howells, No3 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Matthew Lewis is looking for any information on his father-in-law's father - William Howells,

Matthew wrote:My father-in-laws father, a William Cyril Howells was trained at Achnacarry Castle as part of 3 Commando.

It is my father-in-laws 60th birthday in March and he knows very little about what his father did in the war and I am trying to get some information for him as a surprise.

I was wondering if there was a way to check if there are any photos from the training centre that may include him or if you could point me in the right direction as to where I can gleam more information about what he did or where he was stationed. My father-in-law has mentioned that he saw action in Italy but unfortunately that is all.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Nick

As you are probably aware he emailed Andy, yourself and myself. I do have some information for him. I emailed him on Sunday to contact me but so far no response.

Pete

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 20/01/2011 00:43:18

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Matthew contacted me today and I was able to inform him that William Cyril Howells was in 6 troop of No.3 Commando. He was part of a Police Intake that went direct to the CBTC at Achnacarry rather than through a Regiment. William was from New Dock Road Police Station in Llanelli. They had to be shown a attached to the Commando from a Regiment so they were asked to nominate a Regiment. This was purely for pay and other administration purposes. From what Matthew told me William would have gone overseas with No.3 Commando for the Invasion of Sicily, and taken part in the action at Termoli. Matthew believes he was wounded in Italy and may not have taken part in the Normandy landings. I have pointed out some of the photos in the gallery and advised him of Peter Young's book Storm from the Sea (where 6 troop is mentioned at Termoli) and also John Durnford-Slater's book Memoirs of a Fighting Commando. He has the information from Nick regarding service record requests. I would just point out the forum message relating to Termoli which may be of interest:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1829.page

and another website which has varying accounts including that of Bryan Woolnough MBE of No.3 Commando

http://www.warlinks.com/termoli/index.php

Matthew is going to try and get some photos for our gallery of William.

My thanks to Ron Youngman who assisted in this enquiry.

Pete

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 02/02/2011 19:34:22

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Matthew Lewis
Forum Member

Hi Pete

Thanks for the posting. Did you say Cyril achieved the rank of Corporal earlier?

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Matthew

Yes he achieved at least the rank of Corporal. Whether he progressed any further I cannot say.

Pete

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger