commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Robert John Stone  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
patrizia serghiou
Forum Member

Am looking for any info about my deceased father, Robert John Stone, from London born 12th July 1928, i understand he was in the commandos during WW2, was told he was in Norway, but the dates dont really tally as the Norway raids were in the early 1940's, my father would have been 18 in 1946.

Would really appreciate any info on him, i have his service record but it doesnt mention anything about him being in the commandos.
His Army Number is: 19069534.
Hope someone can help.
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Patrizia

May I wish you a very warm welcome to the CVA, although I do not have any specific info regarding your father, I may be able to offer some general info or advice regarding your research. Regarding his age, it is quite possible that he lied about his age, my father joined up in Dec 1939, having just turned 17 yrs in July, however he stated his birthday was July 1916 (his actual DOB was July 1922) adding six years to his actual age!!
Also do you have any of your father's Army documents, for example his release leave certificate or Army pay Book, examining these documents can often yield some very useful info. Do you have any photos of your father from the war period, if so posting these on this site could also prove to be very revealing, there are a number of indicators, when examining a photo to see if it is "Commando". For example although all of the soldiers in a photograph may have the same headress (ie Berets-green) they will have different cap badges, this is because each Commando was a volunteer from a different regiment and consequently they retained the cap badge of their 'parent' regiment.

Good luck with your search, cheers Andy

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 29/12/2010 17:39:14

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger