commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Pearson 'Pete' Rigg MM and Charles Le Grand MM  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Gavin
Forum Member

Whilst browsing the gallery came across photos of these two individuals, searched the site and could not find further references, am I just being dense, shed some light please.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Gavin

Gavin wrote:Whilst browsing the gallery came across photos of these two individuals, searched the site and could not find further references, am I just being dense, shed some light please.

No you're not being dense, but it's very heartening that you feel the Site is The authority on all things relating to the Commandos - unfortunately, even we have a lot to learn...

I'm sure you've already gleaned from the Site that most of these brave men are surprisingly reticent about their experiences and heroics during the War, most will say that "they were just doing their job..."
We've even been told that one veteran told his grandchildren that "he worked for the NAAFI".

But consider that there were :

8 Victoria Crosses
37 D.S.O.s with 9 Bars
162 Military Crosses with 13 Bars
32 D.C.M.s
218 Military Medals

awarded to the Commandos during the War, we still have a very long way to go to document all those acts of courage & bravery.
But I'm sure that we will.

Thanks though for the feedback - and I'm sure there will soon be some reference to both Pete Rigg, MM and Charles le Grand, MM in the near future.

We will remember them.

Regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Gavin,
As promised here is a quick update on Pearson (Pete) Rigg MM. No3 Cdo.

Commando, by Brig Durnford-Slater wrote:
Italian Campaign Sept - Oct 1943.
Operations Baytown & Devon
(London Gazette 13 & 27 January 1944)

7402326 Tpr Pearson Rigg RAMC - MM

Not much I know but it's a start...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Gavin
Forum Member

Thats great, one down.
Great to see them fit and well in the gallery.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Gavin

The gallery has a bit about Pearson Rigg MM on one of the photos I posted, which coincidentally I sent recently to him and his friend, also in the picture, John Dent. It does not necessarily correspond that just because an individual has his photo in the gallery there will be a corresponding forum message. Quite often the photos in the gallery open up to reveal a considerable amount of detail including a bit about any medal award where known.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/3+Commando+post+war/4738829617_8523e93f24_b.jpg.html

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 16/12/2010 19:12:42

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Charles Legrand MM, 4 (Belgian) Troop, No10 (IA) Cdo

Operation Infatuate - Walcheren 1944

" Commandos in Exile" by Nick Van Der Bijl wrote:...on 6 Nov, at 08.30, the Belgian Troop was ambushed by interlocking fire from four Spandaus and Capt Danloy (CO) radioed that speed and determination was critical.
The German position was attacked by A Section on the right and B Section on the left. L/Cpl Charles Legrand manning A Section 2-inch mortar was wounded in the back by mortar shrapnel but refused to be evacuated.
The attack faltered when A Section was forced to move inland due to a minefield....
With two bullets in his shoulder, Sgt Artemieff ledthe section in a bayonet charge, personally over-running a Spandau position until pinned down by a machine gunner. Sgt de Leener and L/Cpl Legrand attempted to advance by taking command of the Sub-section and drew heavy fire. Legrand was severely wounded in the shoulder, and although treated by the Commando Medical Officer, still refused to be evacuated.

Charley Legrand does get other mentions in Nick's excellent book but it was his action during Op Infatuate for which he was awarded the Military Medal.

[Commandos in Exile, by Nick Van Der Bijl, published by Pen and Sword Books ltd.
ISBN: 978-1-84415-790-7]

Nick

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 17/12/2010 23:37:09

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Gavin
Forum Member

Thats great thanks Boys

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger