commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando photo album on facebook.  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Pete Keane
Forum Member

10 IA Commando photo album pointed out to me:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=24846&id=130517190337735

Well worth a look.

Pete
Pete Keane
Forum Member

Sorry,missed a bit - its 2 Troop (dutch).
Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Peter, fantasic bunch of photos detailing this units history.

Just in case you miss the other galleries, there's six of them.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=24846&id=130517190337735#!/pages/Nr2-Dutch-Troop-10-Inter-Allied-Commando/130517190337735?v=photos
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

That's a fantastic collection - I think Meneer Bakker will be very interested in this - what do you think Jack?

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Now that is strange! Not so long ago there was a site called Soldaten van Oranje which was run by a man called Rene Swankhuisen. On it most of these photos could be found. The photos were made useless by a banner which was all across the photos. This seems not to be the case now.
I told a son of a wartime Dutch Commando and the granddaughter of a Dutch Commando that photos of the father and grandfather could be found on that site. Suddenly the site was off the air. The mentioned son did some investigations and it appeared that the site was not paid for anymore. And now they are on facebook!

Quite a few of the photos are known to me as they come from photo albums which belonged to Dutch Commandos. These photo albums are in the archive of the Dutch Commando Museum. How they came on the mentioned site I do not know. There are also photos which are not known to me but they are of No 2 Dutch Troop and of what was called Stormschool Bloemendaal, where assault courses were given to troops which were sent to the then Dutch East Indies, later Indonesia.

As the photos can be downloaded, could it be an idea to put them on the Gallery? And I will get in touch with some people about these photos.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jack

I recall the site you mentioned - Soldaten van Oranje. There are many excellent photos of individuals in this collection which would be great to have on our site. However each individual photo we now post must have relevant permissions from a named individual or organisation, and/or be credited according to their terms and conditions. From what you say it may be that you are able to give such permission for some of them as you mention they are "in the archive of the Dutch Commando Museum". But this would have to be on a photo by photo basis and there are hundreds of them ! An alternative might be to try and liaise with the site owner, establish how he came to acquire the photo collection, and take it from there.

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 11/12/2010 20:46:43

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

As regards this facebook page..I can find no one on there who has put there name to it. Perhaps I am missing something. I find it a bit strange.

The only thing I can see on there is a picture on their wall :
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=130528447003276&set=a.130528443669943.24843.130517190337735

If I recall right the original website, now no longer available, was properly attributed. Not one photo from what I can see on this facebook page has any detail other than the Dutch Troop. If I recall right the original website did have much more information.

Jack did you have any contact with Rene Swankhuisen. Perhaps he can enlighten us.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have already posted a link to our (CVA) Facebook page onto the Dutch Troop Facebook page (and visa versa) in an attempt to make contact.

The thing that strikes me about all the photos is that not one of them has a caption indicating names etc
even the photo of Lt Col Dudley lister isn't tagged.
this makes me think that these photos have been copied from another source.

nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete Keane
Forum Member

Glad they are of some use - sorry if its a bit of a procedural headache, I'm good at finding stuff, but not what to then do with it !!

Some great photo's though!

Pete
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jack, my father was a foreman/ganger with the GPO in Port untill the late 60's early 70's. and there was I think a Dutch Commando, (Bill Timmer)? working with him in the same gang, as being ex Commandos they were good friends. Have you any record of Bill as I have a vauge memory of him with my father and at the childrens christmas party that the GPO used to have, but have lost contact over 40 odd years ago.

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/12/2010 00:25:45

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Kevin,

I will have a look in our archive and see if I can find something about him. Was he a wartime commando as far as you know?
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello All

I discovered these on a friends facebook site and posted them onto my facebook. I have asked the person who posted them where they got them from.

Will let you all know how I get on.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Nothing to report person that posted it got it from CVA site. Reckon Jack will trace it down.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete,

Regarding your message with the question if I have had any contact with Rene Swankhuisen. The answer is no, but I will try to get in contact with him.
I have had contact with a friend who knew the site Soldaten van Oranje as well. He also finds it strange that these photos are now on facebook and also wonders where they now come from.
I will try to find out which photos we have in our archive. We do have a lot of them, I am sure of that. After that I think it won't be much of a problem to give permission to put them in the gallery.
I will keep you informed.
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jack Bakker wrote:Kevin,

I will have a look in our archive and see if I can find something about him. Was he a wartime commando as far as you know?

I believs so.
Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger