commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login
Stanley George Shipley No. 2 Commando Service Number 5568215  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Author Message
Christoff
Forum Member

Joined: 08/12/2010 17:42:39
Messages: 4
Offline

Dear Readers,

My name is Christoff Friederichs and I am the grandson of Stanley George Shipley a WWII Commando. My grandfather (Mothers side) served with No.2 Commando and I think he was with 2 Troop from 1st Of April untill 1st of November 1941 (according to the Army Personnel Centre and MOD).

As my grandfather passed away in 1945, we sadly never heared anything on his military past from him. I am writing a small book on his (military) live and am looking for as much information as possible.

Can anyone confirm that he was was indeed with 2 Troop (No. 2 Commando) and does anyone know why he was RTU on November 1st.

I have enclosed 2 pictures; one of my grandfather in uniform and one of No.2 commando 2 Troop (from this website). I recognise my grandfather standing 6th from the left 4th row.

Kind regards,

Christoff Friederichs
[Thumb - Opa Stan Commando Uniform.jpeg]
 Filename Opa Stan Commando Uniform.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  533 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/12/2010 21:10:05

Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Joined: 26/03/2007 15:05:34
Messages: 350
Location: Ontario, Canada
Offline

I'm having trouble downloading the photo ... Pete?

Thanks, Janet
Christoff
Forum Member

Joined: 08/12/2010 17:42:39
Messages: 4
Offline

Hi,

Sending them once more.

Regards,

Christoff
[Thumb - 2 Cdo 2 trp 1941.jpg]
 Filename 2 Cdo 2 trp 1941.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 355 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  607 time(s)

[Thumb - Opa Stan Commando Uniform.jpeg]
 Filename Opa Stan Commando Uniform.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  529 time(s)

Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Joined: 26/03/2007 15:05:34
Messages: 350
Location: Ontario, Canada
Offline

Thanks, that worked.

- Janet
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Joined: 10/04/2007 22:56:27
Messages: 3325
Location: Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire
Offline

Hi Christoff,

The group photo has disappeared - can you resend it please.

Thanks
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Christoff
Forum Member

Joined: 08/12/2010 17:42:39
Messages: 4
Offline

Hi Nick,

Herby the group foto.

Regards

Christoff
[Thumb - 2 Cdo 2 trp 1941.jpg]
 Filename 2 Cdo 2 trp 1941.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 355 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  530 time(s)

Christoff
Forum Member

Joined: 08/12/2010 17:42:39
Messages: 4
Offline

Dear Readers,

If anyone needs more information on my grandfathers military career, I will be most happy to provide it.

Military Record of Stanley George Shipley (MOD)

Service Number 5568215 Wilshire Regiment Nr. 2 Battalion 1932

Served in Palestine 1936-37

Joined Army reserve 38

Called up and joined the Depot 39

Posted to No. 2 Commando April 1941- November 1941

15 ITC

30 Battalion Wilshire Regiment

No. 4 Battalion Wiltshire Regiment (wounded hill 112) 10 July 1944

33 RHU November 1944

No. 4 Battlion Wiltshire

Was Transferred to Royal engineers in April 1945

Sapper Stanley George Shipley, Royal Engineers Corps of Royal Engineers was the Corps on death 10 December 1945).

Service with the Colours:
24 July 1931 - 10 December 1945

Military conduct:
Exemplary (1938)

Testimonial:
"A hardworking, reliable man, honest and temperate and has shown every satisfaction" (1938).

Medals issued:
General Service Medal with Clasp "Palestine"
1939-45 Star
France and Germany star
Defence Medal
War medal 1939-45

Overseas service:
Palestine 18 September 1936 - 10 December 1937
North Western Europe 18 June 1944 - 11 July 1944 (wounded Hill 112 July 10th 1944)
North Western Europe 29 October 1944 - 27 November1945

Greetings,

Christoff

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Joined: 23/09/2008 00:08:02
Messages: 4654
Offline

Christoff , I have sent you a private message with information regarding the movement of No.2 Commando during the period your grandfather was with them. I have also explained about RTU.

I have also posted your grandfather's photo in the No.2 Commando Gallery 2 troop album and will update the group photo.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/2+Troop/Stan+Shipley+2+cdo.jpeg.html

Good luck with the "small book" you are writing about him. That's a nice tribute.

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/12/2010 01:35:14

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger