commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Paddy Donovan No2 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Simon Craddock
Forum Member

Tonight's programme on the St Nazaire raid has prompted me to do some research.

I'm seeking information on my great-uncle Paddy Donovan who served in No2 Commando, taking part in Operation Chariot amongst other actions. His personal effects were split amongst various relatives on his death nearly 40 years ago and as a result I have nothing to share. Any information, advice, stories etc would be very greatly appreciated by my family and me.

Many thanks, Simon
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Simon,
Welcome to the CVA.
The first thing I would advise is that you apply to the MoD for Paddy's Service Records

(see links below)

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/AE4180BC-55A6-4378-844B-54A58EE3364F/0/request_for_service_details_army_application_part2.doc

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/D05B7D85-7FB4-4D1E-81ED-A1CE0D0BC22F/0/request_for_service_details_nok_application_part1_v3U.doc

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/0BD5D5F3-33DC-43CF-B9FC-22427CCA4766/0/request_for_service_details_general_enquirers_application_part1_v4U.doc

The British Army search document (Part 2) must be completed to request the disclosure of information held on the personnel records of deceased members of the Army.

Additionally, either Part 1 (general enquirer's form) or Part 1 (next of kin form) must be completed in all cases.

The search costs £30 and you will receive details of Paddy's enlistment, training, transfer to the Commandos, postings, wounds, medals/awards/decorations, demob etc.
The records will be photocopies of the original handwritten documents and are full of service jargon & abbreviations - if you get stuck in deciphering them please do not hesitate to ask any one of us to help.

In the meantime take time to read the excellent history of No2 Cdo as experienced by our dear old pal, the late Lt Bob Bishop MC;

http://www.commandoveterans.org/site/mambots/editors/fckeditor/editor/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=

and please take time to browse our Gallery to see if you can identify your Great Uncle on any of the photos.
if you or your family have any photos which you feel you'd like to share with us to commemorate Paddy's time in the Commandos please pm either me or Pete Rogers and we'll help you upload them to the gallery.

Good luck
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Simon

In addition to Nick's advice I can add the following. I have found a Pte. Donovan who was attached to No.2 Commando from the Royal Sussex Regiment. He served in 3 troop. His army service number was 5626300. I cannot assist with any further information unfortunately. For the dates as to when he was attached to the Commando from his Regiment you will, as Nick says, have to apply for the Service Record. I invite you to consider joining us in the CVA as an associate member. How to do so can be found on our homepage

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Simon Craddock
Forum Member

Thank you both, I will be signing up as an 'associate' and I will also do the research you suggest. My uncle was the closest to Paddy, arranging for his body to be repatriated home to Eire when he died in the early 1970's, when I next see him in January I will show him some of the pictures on the site and see if we can find Paddy pictured anywhere.

I remember seeing Paddy's badges when I was a child but sadly after he died they were split up amongst his remaining brother (who is still with us - another source for me) and some close friends. Sadly, it seems badges, pictures etc have all gone missing over the last 40 years or so.

Thanks for the pointers, more to follow...
Simon Craddock
Forum Member

Pete, that is almost certainly Uncle Paddy - the Royal Sussex was his regiment. Thanks very much for this - will make things a bit easier I suspect.

Simon
Dusty's son
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Simon

My Dad was also in 3 troop # 2 Commando , there are a few pictures in the gallery you find interesting. The one of 3 troop at Gibralter may interest you. Good luck in your research, I'd be interested in anything you find out pertaining to 3 troop.

Cheers
Lindsay
Simon Craddock
Forum Member

Thanks Lindsay, I've tried emailing some of the pics to my Uncle but he can't zoom in to see faces properly on his computer. I will be taking him through them face-to-face in January (and showing my Mother in December) and we shall see what we see.

The only picture that we 'have' - it is being searched for at present as it's been 'filed' somewhere safe - is Paddy with Mountbatten. When it's found then I will post a copy on the site. My Mother also thinks she may have one or two badges so I have her searching those out too - I certainly remember these from my childhood.

My only living great uncle (out of many siblings - it was a typical Irish family) is sadly unable to remember much of his older brother's past - Mikey has his own Korean memories. Paddy never married and had no children, my mother's brother being closest to him as he grew older. My own Father's death has brought realisation that memory is frail and time is passing so I'm digging to make sure the story doesn't get lost.

One episode, which I am currently trying to authenticate and place both in time and location, relates to Paddy being wounded and captured in Italy. This was certainly behind German Lines and he was, I suspect, lucky not to be summarily executed or left to die. I am told that as the Germans retreated he was given Morphine and they took his dressings off him, in case they themselves needed patching up I assume. He was left where he lay and was fortunate to be swept up by the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers who carried him with them into Rome. My uncle remembers the arrival of the telegram informing the family that he was missing presumed dead so he must have been gone for a while - enough time for the cogs of communications to turn at least. I don't know if he was invalided out at this juncture, but I guess the official records will tell me that.

Anyway, there's more to come I hope. On the admin side my application form for Associate Membership has been completed but I am currently in Spain for work so it will only be sent when I get home. Similarly, all the forms for service records await despatch when I get back at the weekend.

Thanks again for the notes so far.

Simon
Simon Craddock
Forum Member

I have now identified Paddy in two of the reunion photo's posted on the site (1946 - he's 7th from right at the back, 1947 - he's diagonally left behind Col Newman (stood, holding pint glass)). The family has dug up an additional reunion picture which I don't think is on here, of Mountbatten, Col's Newman & Churchill and many of No2 Cdo. I will scan this now and post it asap.

I'm still waiting for any sign of anything from the Army Records dep't. but we think we now have a bit more of the picture pieced together. From the UK to Italy, to France and eventually Germany. He was quite well travelled you might say.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/06/2011 17:55:12

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Simon

I have responded to the pm you sent me. Have I got the right man. Is he also in this photo of No.2 Commando Veterans, between my father, Joe Rogers, and Bill Humble?

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/2+Cdo+vets/Reunion+-1.JPG.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Simon Craddock
Forum Member

Pete, can I just publicly pass on thanks from various members of my family who are just over the moon with the information you've managed to obtain over the past couple of days. My Mother and Uncle were literally in tears this morning when I read them Eric's words.

Thank you from me also.

Best, Simon
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Simon

I have passed on your thanks to Eric Buckmaster . I will also pass on your comments here. He continues to be a great help to me , and in the past to many others like yourself.

Just so others know, Eric remembered Paddy Donovan and let us know that Paddy had in fact been in 5 troop along with Eric and his brother Stanley, as well as my father and uncle. Eric passed on a few of his memories about Paddy. I also managed to find Paddy's name in a note book of 5 troop contacts that my father kept post war. I know Eric would not mind me posting his words here as a small tribute to Paddy, and I hope Simon this will be ok with you.

Eric said this :

?With regard to Paddy Donovan, he was a delightful very Irish Irishman. He was of Medium Height, but very sturdily built. Physically strong but gentle & whimsical. When you spoke with him he always had a broad smile. Liked a pint. His counterpart in the Troop was Paddy Deighan who was by contrast very slim build.

I remember Paddy Donovan falling out with ( name removed ) who had kicked a dog which came into the camp, and Paddy Donovan was so indignant that they nearly came to Blows. We had to stop them .

My brother Stanley spoke with a natural London ( Cockney ) accent. Whereas I had worked in Offices and had " Poshed " up my voice, due to answering telephones. Paddy Donovan came to me one day and said " Hey Buckie, how come you and your Kid went to different Schools together ". ( We both went to the same School ).

I met Paddy Donovan only once after the War at a London Re-union, he was working in Security with Cyril Lima at Heathrow Airport

Regards, Eric.?

With his comments about Eric's accent it sounds like Paddy had a good sense of humour as well! I have cropped a photo of Paddy and placed it here.

Regards

Pete R.
[Thumb - Paddy Donovan    No.2 Commando  5 troop.jpg]
 Filename Paddy Donovan No.2 Commando 5 troop.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 49 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  347 time(s)

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 14/06/2011 21:23:03

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Eric Buckmaster has added this to what he has already said about Paddy Donovan :

Although my recollections of Paddy Donovan were brief, they did, I believe, encapsulate the character of he man. He was a good Comrade, always good company, it was his very Irishness that was so endearing. He had a tremendous sense of humour, and could always see the funny side of situations, which he showed with a broad smile. Both he and Paddy Deighan, could have stepped out of a Rudyard Kipling novel. As with the other characters that we had in 5 Troop, we were Blessed with the Mixture that really was the ? United Kingdom at it's Best.?

Simon has asked me to pass on his thanks to Eric for sharing his memories and this I have done

Pete R.

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger