commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Peter Begley RM  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Dear Mr Murray

I have just finished reading Kenneth McAlpine's account of his time in 48 Commando, and was struck by his honesty, humanity and humour. I intend to write to him directly if possible, probably through his publisher. After reading it, I then went on to check a number of sites one of which was your CVA site.

My interest stems from my father's second world war experiences. My Dad (Peter Begley) died almost 15 years ago, but in his life, he was fairly reticent in talking about his time in the Marines. What I do know is limited, and I would dearly love to understand more about the part played by him and his fellow 'smiling young giants', to quote M McAlpine.

What I do know is that he volunteered to join in 1940 aged 19. He was at the time an apprentice blacksmith (industrial - not horses!), in Middlesbrough.

I think he was in 41 Commando (and possibly another commando later), but I also recall him referring to a Special Services Brigade ( his joke was that he didn't take to kindly to it being shortened to the SS!). I remember him mentioning being on stand by ( as in landing craft I suppose), for the Dieppe raid (1942?), and his heartbreak at the losses felt by the Canadians.

He definitely landed in Sicily, and then at Salerno, (1943) where he was wounded by shrapnel which took most of his right calf away. He used to tell a story of being sung to sleep in hospital by a nun/nurse who sang opera.

I have all his medals which include the Africa Star, but can't recall him ever speaking of Africa (apart from his buying a pet chameleon which slept on his chest and kept the flies at bay).

After that it was D Day, where he landed (I think) at Sword Beach? (story of ditching his bike overboard, and a piper playing as the landed)?. He did refer to Pegasus Bridge, and meeting up with some paratroopers there - I seem to recall him mentioning that his troop got there earlier than they should have done.

Then - definitely Walcharen, which he did talk about once, and having read KM's account, I got an insight (albeit an armchair one), of the horror he must have experienced. I recall him talking about having two landing craft sunk under him (Ducks?), and as he swam for a third, it was destroyed by a mine. He then swam to shore.

After that - Holland ( which I do know, as it resulted in a half brother, whom I never met!).

That's all I know. Apologies if this is of no interest to you, but if you could possibly point me in the right direction to gain more information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Terry

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger