commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
William Pointon 3912867  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
George Pointon
Forum Member

My dad would never talk about his army days, mum always told us he was a commando, in fact that was where she met him as she is scottish and lived near Glasgow. In his papers it states that he was overseas for a while from 12/12/1941 until 06/01/1942 Lofoten Island and previously enlisted 24/06/1940 the South Wales Boderers, finishing his army career in the RAOC and being demobbed 1946. Any help please, I have sent an e-mail to greenlids. Thank you

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/11/2010 11:03:46

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi George,
Welcome to theCVA.
In your message you talk about your dad's 'papers' - do you mean his Service Records?
If not, I would strongly advise you (as I do to everyone seeking info on their relatives) to apply to the MoD for his Records.
Once in receipt of these you can - with the info provided on this Site - start building up your father's story.

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/AE4180BC-55A6-4378-844B-54A58EE3364F/0/request_for_service_details_army_application_part2.doc

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/D05B7D85-7FB4-4D1E-81ED-A1CE0D0BC22F/0/request_for_service_details_nok_application_part1_v3U.doc

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/0BD5D5F3-33DC-43CF-B9FC-22427CCA4766/0/request_for_service_details_general_enquirers_application_part1_v4U.doc

The British Army search document (Part 2) must be completed to request the disclosure of information held on the personnel records of deceased members of the Army.

Additionally, either Part 1 (general enquirer's form) or Part 1 (next of kin form) must be completed in all cases.

Meanwhile do you have any documents or photos that may help us with the research? Any snippet of information, no matter how trivial it may seem to you, may help us with our research.

Regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
George Pointon
Forum Member

Thanks Nick, the papers I meant were some insurance type papers regarding an examination of his wounds, judging by the date they were around about his demobilisation. I do have some photographs and will root them out and send them on. I will also take your advice and contact the relevant links you have kindly posted.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi George,

Thanks for the kind offer to root out some photos - I have sent you a PM regarding this.

I'm sure you will be very pleased when you receive William's Service Records which will make you want to research even more thoroughly...
The Records will, for the most, be hand written in Service jargon and full of abbreviations - if you need any help deciphering these, or with anything else, do not hesitate to ask...

kind regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger