commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
48 RM Commando PLY/X 104620 L/Cpl Joseph T. Larkin  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
KTB1969
Forum Member

I'd be very grateful for some help finding information on my relative, L/Cpl Joseph T. Larkin. With the exception of his step sister, all of his close family are no longer alive and I know very little about his military career. I'm bringing my father, his cousin, to visit his grave at Hollybrook, Southampton in early December and we'll also pay a visit to Portsmouth to see the 48 RMC memorial.

According to Ken Ford's book "D-Day Commando" p.32, L/Cpl Larkin was the first of 48 RMC killed on D-Day. He quotes Sgt Bill Hudson:
"Suddenly we changed course and headed for the beach. It was at this time that we had our first casualty when Lance Corporal Larkin, who was standing just ahead of me, was hit in the head by a stray bullet, killing him instantly. He was a very old comrade from 7th Battalion and to be killed in this way a mile out to sea had a bitter irony." His body was returned to England later the same day.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi KTB,

Here is the link to Joseph Larkin's records at the Commonwealth War Graves Commision (CWGC):

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2350392

to find out about his military service you should apply to the MoD for his service records. These should give you details of his enlistment, training, postings, promotions and, sadly, his demise.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/PersonnelPublications/ServiceRecords/RequestFormsForServicePersonnelDetailsRoyalNavyroyalMarines.htm

MoD wrote:Making a Request for Information held on the Personnel Records of Deceased Service Personnel

The Ministry of Defence (MOD) is the custodian of the Records of Service of Service personnel until they are opened to general public access at The National Archives. Subject to the payment of a search fee of £30 per record and provision of a death certificate (except where death was in service), certain information can be provided from these records on request under the MOD?s publication scheme. The scheme allows for information in these records to be exempt from the general provisions of the Freedom of Information Act by virtue of section 21(1) of the Act (Information accessible to an applicant by other means).

Under the scheme, and in recognition of the duty of care owed to the family of the deceased subject, for a period of 25 years following the date of death of the subject and without the consent of the Next of Kin, MOD will disclose only: surname; forename; rank; service number; regiment/corps; place of birth; age; date of birth; date of death where this occurred in service; the date an individual joined the service; the date of leaving; good conduct medals (i.e. Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (LS&GCM)), any orders of chivalry and gallantry medals (decorations of valour) awarded, some of which may have been announced in the London Gazette.

After this 25 year period, and if it is held, in addition MOD will disclose without the requirement for Next of Kin consent: the units in which he/she served; the dates of this service and the locations of those units; the ranks in which the service was carried out and details of WWII campaign medals...

I hope this information is useful but please do not hesitate to let us know if you need any assistance in your quest.

regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger